starting strength gym

Thread: Come-back Kid

Default Come-back Kid

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Anybody have a favorite method to get back into weightlifting for a seasonal follower of Starting Strength? After a couple months off I can still squat a decent weight for a single. I'm just wondering what's the sensible way to squat 3x week again while balancing not hurting myself and not waiting 3 months to squat heavy again

I would just do (and have done several times in the past with success) a novice-style A/B workout rotation, and take larger jumps than a novice would at first. Any time the weight starts getting really slow, you lower the increment. Since I do not know how much a "decent weight for a single" (and would rather hear what you were leaving off at for, say, 1x5 or 3x5, I can't tell you how long that will or should be.

Or, steroids.

Back in November or December I did 325 for 3 sets of 5 that were legit depth. I had worked up a little higher but I reset when I saw a video and realized I had lost my depth. Just a couple weeks ago I 315 for singles. The first time I did 3 single and number two had good depth, 1 and 3 were on the edge. I tried 315 again a week or so later and got 3 that were deep. I guess I am already starting back into it but I'm always up for some solid advice. I have a log in the SS forum here too

So what I'd have you do is back off to, say, a weight you can move easily (225?) for your first workout. If you're real sore on the second, I'd do 245. If you're not, 255 or 265. Then 275-285, then a ten pound increment from there to 305-310, then at 315 and up you go back to a 5# increment. You should be able to carry that on for a bit.