starting strength gym

Thread: Pre-meet meals

Default Pre-meet meals

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi Jordan,

I'm doing a PL meet on Saturday. Any suggestions for what to eat, and what to avoid, Friday night and Saturday morning -- and maybe throughout the day on Saturday? Making weight is not an issue (I'm squarely in between weight classes). My diet is basically Paleo, with some full-fat dairy and occasional rice and potatoes. Friday night I'll be eating dinner at a Cracker Barrel (limited options). Thanks in advance for any input!

I typically recommend for people to eat similar things to what they normally eat during meet days so they don't get sick. I stick to oats, whey, lunch meat, rice cakes, waxy maize, bcaas, and peanut butter. I like eating a pretty good size meal right after morning weigh ins, something like 30-40g protein, 100-150g carbs (mix of fast and moderate digesting carbs like half oats/half waxy maize), and 20g of fat. Then I drink a 32oz gatorade and 16oz of water + BCAAs. Coconut water works well instead of gatorade or pedialyte. Then I try to limit the bloat before the squats so my belt still fits normal so I just keep drinking water and not chug it. This water is usually mixed with BCAAs. After the squats are done, I'll have a bit of protein (20-30g from sliced turkey) and carbs (50-75g from rice/rice cakes) and a scoop of peanut butter. Then I like to bloat up for bench press by drinking as much water as possible. After bench, I'll eat the same meal I had after squats and not drink too much water before the pulls.