starting strength gym

Thread: Hip flexor pain, mobility wod to english translation needed.

Default Hip flexor pain, mobility wod to english translation needed.

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hello coaches-

I have anterior medial hip pain (hip flexor area) after squatting. My knees tend to shoot forward at the bottom of the movement. Lots of people say the latter leads to the former and I am trying to find out why.

I found this mobilitywod video where Kelly seems to imply that tightness in the hip flexors "blocks the range" of motion and, in order to get depth he slides his knees forward.

http://www.mobilitywod.com/2011/06/e...and-mobrx.html

The start of the second video is what I am referring to.

Does anyone know what he is talking about?

I like Kelly a great deal, but I'll be damned if I can figure out what he is saying half the time. I am afraid you are going to have to ask him. As to your knees shooting forward at the bottom of the squat, yes, that can cause hip pain. In fact, there is a well written book that addresses this very topic with a full page illustration showing the anatomy involved and why this is so. The book has a similar name to this site and I recommend it. To sum up, your knees need to get in place by about half way down in the squat and then they should not move any further forward for the rest of the descent.

I re-read that part in SS yesterday but I didn't see anything about why the knees coming forward causes hip flexor area pain. I'm working on setting my knees but I want to make sure that my pain is due to this technique flaw rather than something intraarticular (fai, labral tear, etc).

There's no guarantee that's why your hips hurt, but unless you have done something pretty unusual, it is a lot more likely than a labral tear. It will also probably take some time to resolve itself once you start squatting correctly. The figure on page 54 of the third edition has the info to which I referred above.

Thanks. I'm gonna give it some time to cool off and see an orthopod just in case.

I have a kindle version but I think I see what you are talking about. Figure 2-48.