starting strength gym

Thread: Taking protein morning and night

Default Taking protein morning and night

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Forgive me if this has been covered already, I did a search but didn't find anything. I was told a couple years ago that when strength training you needed to drink a whey protein shake immediately upon waking and take in some simple carbs, ie watermelon or grapes, and you need to drink a slow digesting protein, casein, just before going to sleep. I've been doing that for about a year now because I thought that's what you were supposed to do, but it came from the same people who told me to do half squats so odds are is a bunch of bs. Curious if there is a need for this or if I'm just wasting protein.
    On a side note, I've seen a lot of posts saying mix your protein shakes with water, should I be doing that instead of using almond milk or whole milk? It tastes so much better in milk and helps me get to the 3500 calorie mark set for novice ss. Thanks in advance.

Male/6'/220/22% bf

You don't "need" any protein supplements unless that's the only way you can get your protein totals in. Similarly, you won't find any advantages by taking a whey shake + simple carbs immediately upon waking and casein shake before bed when compared to another day that you took in the same amount of calories, proteins, carbs, fat, etc. If it helps you get to your requirements, cool, but it is most definitely bro science. That being said, I usually have 2 shakes per day due to shear time constraints. You can use milk or whatever you want/need to to help it fit your requirements. I use water because I don't really like milk personally.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    I don't really like milk personally.
    Ima tell Rip.

Quote Originally Posted by ColoWayno View Post
    Ima tell Rip.
    He already thinks I'm a pussy, this will just confirm it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    If it helps you get to your requirements, cool, but it is most definitely bro science.
    This is exactly what I figured, just more bro science to sell extra supplements. Thank a bunch for the great response.