starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A little help please.

Default A little help please.

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    42 year old Fat guy here stats 6'4" 255 lbs (started out 297 lbs in Nov)..diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes

Was doing SS but recovery became an issue and moved to a push pull legs split to get more recovery time strictly doing compound lifts.

Push- Bench OH Press bench dips (was using an assitance machine) 5x5 setupj except for dips, doing 3xhowever many I can.

Pull - Deadlift/Row/ was doing assisted chins, now doing Lat pulldowns. 5x5 on the first 2 3x10 on the pulldowns.

Legs squats 10x10

Diet is basically keto, with about 150g carbs (75 either side of my workout) off days just some walking and less than 60g carbs.... This eating pattern was basically ad hocked together, going by my Blood Glucose meter.

Here are some pics... weight loss has slowed, my blood glucose readings are borderline normal, I am not sure if I should try and do some recomposition at my current weight or cut more.. lifts are going up, so I dont want to wreck it by cutting too mutch....adding more cardio/walking is another option.. just not sure what to do.

Note, I am wearing the same work pants in the 3rd pic as the first LOL

November

few weeks ago

today

Congrats on the weight loss/recomp. If it were me, I'd just continue to recomp whilst getting stronger, which of course, is a bit more difficult than starting out as a 135lb string bean at 19 years old. Your programming and dietary choices will need to be more precise to achieve these goals, but I think you're on the right track.

How often are you doing the push-pull split, just MWF or?

Diet wise:
    Diet is basically keto, with about 150g carbs (75 either side of my workout) off days just some walking and less than 60g carbs.... This eating pattern was basically ad hocked together, going by my Blood Glucose meter.
    As you know, this isn't really keto or low carb (in my book) but it seems to be working. What's your protein and fat looking like? How many days and for how long are you walking?

I was just working out every other day,

M/w/f/sun/tues/thrurs/sat/etc.... with a 50 percent deload at 8 weeks.

I actually have to math my diet out. I've just been eating 250g protein, more carbs on lifting days, and less on non lifting days. Walking 4-5 times a week, about a mile, nothing too strenuous. Cheat day here and there, but not without a workout within a few hours of the cheat.

Just cutting out soda, and most starchy carbs the weight just fell off, up until this point. but I guess I need to sharpen the pencil..I just cant imagine eating less than I do now, I'd rather work harder in the gym than eat any less.

You could set your programming up to be more optimal a few ways, such as a hybrid of Starr's H/M/L program talked about here, GSLP strength bias (I wrote this), or a more traditional PL setup, i.e. do the main lifts 1x per week + assistance like Day 1: Squat + Assistance, Day 2: Bench + Assistance, Day 3: Pull + assistance, which is sort of like you're doing actually.

Diet wise, I think you're on the right track but yes, it's time to sharpen the pencil and figure out just how much carbs and fat you're taking in and adjust them up or down as needed. I'd also add about 25-45g more protein.

Thanks Jordan... I need something different than my "add 5 pounds to the bar every week" programming... its getting to the point where I cant do it anymore LOL.

I know that feel. You'll still need to progress some how, i.e. adding weight to a top single then back offs, more reps, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    I know that feel. You'll still need to progress some how, i.e. adding weight to a top single then back offs, more reps, etc.
    I gotcha... I started out adding 10 pounds per week, then things slowed down and I went to 5... I stalled out at my current weight so I started eating a little more, but not enough to gain weight and I managed 5-10 pounds a week for a few weeks, but now I am hitting a wall again, an need an actual plan LOL.

I'd reset by 10% on your heavy work set weights, pick one of the 3 options I laid out for you and make small jumps weekly (5lbs on squats/DL, 2.5lbs on presses/benches/power cleans). On the other hand, if you're wanting something more personalized drop me a line for a consultation at coach@dfmfit.com.

I'm looking at that Wendler 531 set up where you do one main compound + assistance at each workout....if I split the work up like that, I think I still have some good gains left in me.

starting strength coach development program
    Wendler is a good program, but I'd squat one more time per week within the context of his general template.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast