starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A few deadlift questions

Default A few deadlift questions

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    1) I can currently deadlift about 360 pounds, and I can do 5 reps -- but I need about a minute between each rep. To do a continuous 5 reps with minimal rest I can only lift about 325 or 330. Which would be better, then -- to do 360 for 5 singles (with about 1 minute between) or to do a 5 rep set at 330?

2) On TM should deadlifts ideally be on volume day or intensity day? I found on my last volume day that I was so baked from 5x5 squats and 5x5 presses that my power cleans sucked, and I was contemplating doing PC on intensity day instead and deadlifts on volume day.

3) Is there value in doing a higher rep lighter weight backoff set with deadlifts? I've been doing this for a while. Do 5 reps somewhere in the 350s, then I drop to 225 and do a set of 20 reps. My thought has been that this combination of volume and involved muscle mass (at a weight that is much higher than my power cleans) would be a good physiologic stimulus for muscle growth; it might also be a decent "metcon" kind of exercise. (Parenthetically, before switching to 5x5 sets I would do the same with squats, do a single set of 12-20 reps at a lower weight).

Baker would probably have some insights here that differ from mine, but I am trying to clear out the backlog of posts going into the holiday with the large, egg-laying rabbit.

1) Depends entirely on what you are doing. If I were training you, I would probably stick to one set of five at the moment instead of five singles.

2) I've messed around with this and if you are going to stick with a 3-day TM routine and you want to power clean, then I prefer deadlifts on the volume day. Five sets of cleans after five sets of squats and presses is awfully long. Many do not like deads on Monday because it makes Mondays so hard. However, it also sets things up so that you kick the hell out of yourself on Monday and then recover for the rest of the week. The intensity day is heavy, but over quickly and power cleans are like a reward after making the squats and presses. Deadlifts on Fridays tended to negatively affect my volume day squats. If you just cannot deal with deads on Mondays, try them on Tuesdays instead.

3) Worry about getting your fives going again and drop the high rep deadlift stuff. Deads are not a great conditioning exercise. Row, or push the prowler, or do some sprints (I think 400s are a decent choice) if you want conditioning work. High rep deads are good for tweaking your back.

The TM is tough. You need to have recovery in good order to pull it off.
    Last edited by Tom Campitelli; 03-30-2013 at 11:06 PM.

I should note that if I were Callador, this would be the place where I would recommend a four-day split.

Thanks, that makes sense. This first question looks common. I think what happened to me, and what seems to happen to others, is that my DL strength improved quickly and I kept making 10-15 pound jumps without realizing how much it was slowing the lift down -- so I sort of outran my 5RM.

Why a four day split? (I've only been on TM for 2-3 weeks). I like the idea behind training the whole body each day, and also making gains with 3 lifting days instead of 4.

As far as the four day split goes, Callador is a huge fan of them. I primarily wrote that to amuse him in the event he happened to read it, not necessarily because you need to do a split routine. The four day split does solve the deadlift question by spreading the work out over an extra day and is often the program that people look towards when they tap out on the TM. The Texas Method is a perfectly fine program that saves an extra day at the gym while making Mondays a longer affair.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Campitelli View Post
    I should note that if I were Callador, this would be the place where I would recommend a four-day split.
    Heh, there is always that option! :-) For us quasi-older guys with poor recovery and taxing jobs, splitting up the work really does help.

Quote Originally Posted by Callador View Post
    Heh, there is always that option! :-) For us quasi-older guys with poor recovery and taxing jobs, splitting up the work really does help.
    One way to do so, while keeping the deads on the volume day, would be to do the squats and the presses at lunch, and the deads in the evening.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul1 View Post
    Thanks, that makes sense. This first question looks common. I think what happened to me, and what seems to happen to others, is that my DL strength improved quickly and I kept making 10-15 pound jumps without realizing how much it was slowing the lift down -- so I sort of outran my 5RM.

Why a four day split? (I've only been on TM for 2-3 weeks). I like the idea behind training the whole body each day, and also making gains with 3 lifting days instead of 4.
    Man I did the same damn thing and am paying for it hard. I jumped by 10s all the way to 345, I was nervous because my squat was outpacing my DL and wanted to keep my DL relatively close in number. I ended up resetting to 315 jumped by 10 to 325 then went by 5s from there. It helped alot to take my time coming back. I still think my DL is harder than it should be but thats more due to my recovery issues as apposed to the appropriate reset.

I am all aboard the Callador 4 day split. I loved it and would still be on it if my time permitted. I was even making weekly progress on my bench and press at the same time. The only thing i would add about doing a 4 day split is that you should still attempt a recovery squat day. I would do my volume on monday, a super light squat day on tuesday and intensity on thursday. For example, I would do 340x5x5 for volume 225x5x2 on tuesday and then 400x5 on Thursday. I always felt recovered going into Thursday's session.

Yep, something like that could work too (assuming you get a longer lunch break). I haven't tried it personally, but I have seen others have success with it.

starting strength coach development program
    Is this a strength issue or a conditioning issue? I used to spend a lot of time between reps trying to catch my breath. Programming conditioning work seemed to help quite a bit.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast