starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trying to build some "spotters"

Default Trying to build some "spotters"

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Since I primarily lift on my own, I am thinking of trying to build my own safety spotters. Right now I have an Again Faster Rack 2.5 (I am one of the people who found CF first... then Rip, then said EFF Crossfit).

My idea is to cut up some 4x4s.

16 inches long and stack them. Alternating directions ll = ll = (hopes this little diagram makes sense, stack the equals onto the l's) and the top layer would be llll with no gaps.

I am not sure of the heights yet, but I want to make it high enough to bench press (with the weights landing on the wooden "spotters". And then an addition that can be stacked on top for the height of my squats. (I know the difference to be about 2 inches based on using other spotters at a gym for both).

I would also have some sort of lip so the weights dont travel off the the edge.

I guess my actual question is; does anyone have any experience with something like this? Or are any of you builders who could weigh in on the ability for something like this to with stand the weight?

I would like it to be able to support at least 600 dropped from about a foot (this is more than I can do, and higher than i ever intend to drop it but i want to guestimate on the safe side)

I think you would be well advised to procure purpose-built, steel equipment for this task instead of using a homemade wooden apparatus.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Campitelli View Post
    I think you would be well advised to procure purpose-built, steel equipment for this task instead of using a homemade wooden apparatus.
    Probably end up cheaper that way, but he misses out on all the fun of playing 4-inch thick lincoln logs.

You might find this helpful:
    homemade safety stands

I agree with Tom, but if you're like me, you won't listen to sound advice. This is what I did: http://startingstrength.com/resource...045#post552045

I've never dropped anything on the boxes, but I can easily jump up and down on them. I can use them for benching and squatting. Most they've ever held is 355, and not dropped, just set down after a failed squat rep.

I think wooden spotters are not unreasonable. Olympic lifters drop 200 kg on wooden blocks all the time. Check out the plans and photos of these jerk boxes. I built some for rack pulls and they hold up to 400+ pounds just fine.

I would agree that wooden racks are not a good idea (at all) but wood has incredible compressive strength and when constructed properly would work fine for catching failed attempts.

Quote Originally Posted by jkw View Post
    You might find this helpful:
    homemade safety stands
    This is what I ended up going with (and where I got the idea from). I don't have a drill so I use two bungee cords to secure each 2x4. This setup's saved me on a couple of BP attempts so far.

Wooden 2x4s and bungee cords. Sounds like a good idea. Best of luck to you gentlemen.

Wood is plenty strong but has the best compression strength in the direction it grows. Don't allow much of a horizontal span without vertical supports if you must do this. Bungee cords are stupid, you will kill yourself. I like the idea of jerk boxes best if you don't have the funds for metal.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobster View Post
    I don't have a drill
    WHAT????

Man code dictates purchasing the tool when the need arises. This is how you build up your collection of tools. I could understand if it was something not often used, like a seal puller, but a drill? You don't have a drill? If you don't have at least a drill, a circular saw, a set of box end wrenches, and a set of screw drivers, you really have no business squatting either.

Just kidding.....
    Kinda

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast