starting strength gym

Thread: Programming Advice Please

Default Programming Advice Please

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hey coaches,

I'm doing a TM split like this:
    1) Snatches, Squats (volume, usually 2x5 and and 8-10 rep back off set)
    2) Bench/Press (intensity), Pull-Ups (volume), Bench/Press (medium)
    3) Snatches, Squats (intensity), Dead Lifts
    4) Bench/Press (volume), Pull-Ups (intensity)

This is done over a 3 day per week schedule, so it's 9-10 days between dead lift sessions. *General programming comments would be appreciated.

I also do some kind of interval training 2x per week (5-8 reps x 20-30 seconds)

The problem is with #3. *It might be too much for me (I'm working on better recovery now, so we'll see).

**If it turns out to be too much would it work to alternate the heavy Squats and dead lifts so that I would be doing these every 18-19 days? *If I had to throw in a medium squat day for frequency where would you put it?

50 years old, 195lbs, 5' 11"
    Some recent PR's
    Squats: 5x1x325
    Deads: 5x375 (not there ATM)

Snatches are all pretty light. *I have been doing a technique day with doubles at 115-125 lbs, and a day with heavier singles (135 or so).

Thanks,

Wayne.

Just so I am clear, on day 2, you would do Bench (intensity), Pullups, and Press (Medium) correct? That seems to make more sense than doing bench presses twice in the same day with pullups in the middle. Here's something to consider for day 3 - drop the intensity squats, put the deadlifts second, and do some lighter squats last. See if you can keep your squats on Day 1 moving along like that. You may want to try 3 ramping sets of 5 squats instead of 2x5, with a higher rep back off.

Paging Andy Baker...

Correct on the presses, I've got some extra recovery in this schedule and throwing in some medium sets just helps maintain so it's not more than 2 weeks between either press variety. Actually, I do that on day 4 as well.

I'm going to ponder your suggestions now...