starting strength gym

Thread: Max Heart Rate/Recovery

Default Max Heart Rate/Recovery

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    This Winter I've been doing some conditioning on the treadmill and having fun checking my heart rate and recovery times.
    The problem is I have no idea how to interpret the results and if my instincts are correct, Google Fu only turns up really silly BS.

I've measured my heart rate at about 10 seconds after my last set and have seen it as high as 174 (which is 4 above the predicted max for a 50yr old). My HR seems to slow by about 40bpm after two minutes of rest. Resting HR is probably 65-70 or so.

I'm not concerned about anything, just curious if there's any good information on what stuff like this means and especially what improvements a person could expect to make. So, in the interest of actually asking a question, is there any good info out there?

Now that it's warming up maybe the best advice is to go outside and forget about it.

Cheers,

Wayne.

Heart rate (including max heart rate) responds to too many factors to really mean anything as a stand-alone number. Once you establish a range that your max heart rate falls in (which will be affected by various things like rest, hydration, nutrition, blood sugar level, temperature (body and air temp), it can be a useful tool for assessing exercise intensity. Max heart rate will trend higher than norm in many people who do anaerobic training (light weightlifting). Nothing surprising about your number.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Hill View Post
    (light weightlifting)
    Well, that's what I do alright.

Thanks.

Sorry, that was supposed to be "LIKE weightlifting."

Damn you, autocorrect!

Wayne,

I wear a HRM during lifting and see similar ranges. I'm 50 as well. Just another datapoint.