starting strength gym

Thread: Squat form check

Default Squat form check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Side view (hope that's ok) because I wanted to check depth, which I'm pretty sure is fine but also ask about my knees. Are they coming forward too much? I have a hip drive question too but guessing I need a video view as described in the sticky for you to help with that. Thanks in advance for any help you give, much appreciated!

From what little I can see here, your knees aren't drifting too far forward, but it is tough to say for sure with such a limited view. You would benefit from some weightlifting shoes and a good deal more muscular bodyweight.

Thanks for the reply Tom. Aware of the need for more muscular bodyweight, I understand squats and milk are the remedy for that. Trying to work on it.

Here's another video with a superior view.

Apologies for the double post. I should add that I'm aware my grip position is heterodox but I needed to widen my grip as I was getting killer inner elbow pain on my left arm.

In response to "trying to put on weight," I would point you toward the well-known philosopher, Yoda, who was heard to remark, "Do or do not. There is no try." Heterodoxy is useful for discussions of religion, not squats. Grip width is an individual matter and while narrower is better, you do what you can. The part that worries me about your arms is that you jack them up towards the ceiling, drop your chest, and significantly round your thoracic spine even before you descend. Drop your arms a little and think, "chin down, chest up." Get your entire spine in extension at the top and lock it in with a big breath. Don't go so deep. You are way below parallel and relaxing to get there. Voluntary emaciation is no way to go through life.

haha cheers Tom. I am objectively putting on weight according to the scales, I will put on more.

As for the rest of your points, thanks a lot, I'm watching my video and trying to work out the problems, because there clearly are some, and then I read your post and it clicks. Chest up is a cue to get the entire spine in extension right?

starting strength coach development program
    Correct. You want to stand up straight in as close to normal anatomical extension as you can prior to descending and maintain that for the duration of the squat.