starting strength gym

Thread: Barbell Sleeve Coming Apart

Default Barbell Sleeve Coming Apart

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hello folks,

Could someone please explain what is wrong with my barbell. Google has not helped me understand what's going on.

The end cap started to unscrew as below.

I can screw it back in, and the sleeve rotates, but the sleeve seems to move further out from the bar rather than the end cap in to the bar. Picture below shows how the sleeve moves out past the black oxide when I screw the end cap back.

I'm loathe to unscrew it all the way out to look inside as I probably won't be able to get it back together again! Should I just screw it back so it's flush and let sleeping dogs rest? Is there an image somewhere to help me understand what's going on?

Regards
    Colin

This is outside of my expertise. However, I bet someone reading this has an idea.

Is there a missing snap ring that should be holding that end cap in? What's the other end look like?

Quote Originally Posted by niclane View Post
    Is there a missing snap ring that should be holding that end cap in? What's the other end look like?
    There other end is the same and no signs of anything missing. I really don't get what the end cap is doing in relation to the sleeve and bar. For example, this video by Rogue fitness about barbell construction makes it looks simple but doesn't help me figure out the construction. Hummmmm!!

http://youtu.be/9-5BnZJV4Ys

You might as well take that end off to see what's going on, It's not a transmission! what harm could come from seeing how it was constructed?

starting strength coach development program
    There is a bushing in the end of the bar that is unscrewing. You'll need to screw it all the way out to see why, when you screw the end cap back in, the bushing / cap assy is pushing the sleeve / inside bushing off of the bar.