starting strength gym

Thread: Press - over extension (MD seminar)

Default Press - over extension (MD seminar)

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi,

This is Michael from the Maryland seminar. I'm the one from Matt Reynolds' group who couldn't manage to press properly. I continually battled lumbar over extension.

I've been working on it with an empty bar. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated. It's frustrating to have to drop weight off the bar, but I know I'm far better off in the long-haul learning this lift properly.

Thanks for any form advice you can provide.

http://youtu.be/jRwWjtX-6GA?t=23s

I wasn't at the MD Seminar so don't have a point of comparison, but I don't see lumbar over-extension here to an extent that I'd be concerned about. You are pretty extended at the top of the press but it doesn't look too bad, and depending on your spinal curvature, might just be the way you're built. The coaches you had in MD should know that better than I do, if they remember.

What I do see is that you're still struggling with the mechanics and timing of the press. Squeeze your abs hard, reach with your hips, bounce & press. Stop wiggling around right beforehand, and press off the bounce, not after it's already occurred.

Any thoughts from the coaches who saw Michael lift in Westminster?

Thanks for your reply, Michael. I'm glad to hear that the over extension is getting under control. I'm told it was awful at the seminar.

I'll work on keeping straighter at the top. I probably have a more accentuated curve than some and I'm underweight, even for my height. The hip bounce part of the press is a movement that I just can't seem to get the hang of.

Would definitely enjoy hearing from any of the MD coaches.

Gaining weight will help your lifts/strength in general. Continue to focus on squeezing your abs - squeeze them when you "set" at the beginning of each rep and keep them held that way throughout the movement. A belt would be a good idea, too.

As far as the timing: practice makes adequate. If it makes you feel any better, it took me a while to get it right as well. After years of strict pressing, I was a little slow on the uptake on getting the timing down for the new press.