starting strength gym

Thread: Training the Paused Bench Press

Default Training the Paused Bench Press

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hey all –

I am a a month out from my first meet and want to introduce the paused bench press so I can gauge my opener. Today, I did the following (after warmups):

235x3 paused, easy, 5/10
    245x3 paused, pretty easy 6/10
    260x3 non-paused; rep 3 almost broke my face

These weights are 80, 85, and 90% of my training 1RM of 285 (not paused).

Should I train paused reps on the first rep of each set? Just the top set? Just singles?

Thanks,
    Dan

Pause every 1st rep of every set. Get use to performing a good pause and then pressing. At the meet, don't listen for the press command, just perform your pause and then go. Make them redlight you after pausing it (they won't).

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    Pause every 1st rep of every set. Get use to performing a good pause and then pressing. At the meet, don't listen for the press command, just perform your pause and then go. Make them redlight you after pausing it (they won't).
    I'm sure this is almost always true, and I'm not trying to be contrary, but I saw multiple people get three reds on bench attempts for jumping the press command at a meet last month, even though they paused (the head judge was one of those "let me take a nap while you're waiting down there" kind of judges.) I guess it depends on the fed and how strict your judges are.

Or how legit your pause is. Your pause should be just long enough for the bar to become motionless (which is what the judge is looking for). Most people "pause" by letting the bar sink into their chest and then driving it up. That's no good.