starting strength gym

Thread: squat form check plz

Default squat form check plz

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxnNh0W6VuM

I can see that my stance is a bit narrow.

I can see that your head is not down, and your knees are not out. The knees may be due to stance width (which I can't really judge too accurately from this angle, but you might be right), but what's your excuse for your head?

It disheartens me that head down is making a comeback as the single biggest issue I see in the form check videos that have been posted here lately.

While I'm a tot squat noob, I would also add to check your wrist position-- far from neutral. You can fix that easy.

Quote Originally Posted by JayKnapp View Post
    While I'm a tot squat noob, I would also add to check your wrist position-- far from neutral. You can fix that easy.
    This is not incorrect. But - as Steve Stone used to say on the Cubs WGN broadcasts of my youth, "For you young ballplayers out there..." in this case you aspiring coaches out there - it's very important to first focus on the things that are most germane and essential to the correct performance of the lift. The OPs wrists are certainly extended, which is going to be a problem at some point. But that's not very important to the performance of the squat itself, whereas head position and knees out ARE. So we correct the most important things first, and then move on to the less important and then the ancillary.

If this were a live coaching situation, we'd have told him to straighten out his wrists a few times in his initial empty bar and perhaps first weighted warm-up set. A tactile cue might have been given here on the empty bar, in addition to the verbal cues. But if he still had his wrists like that, we'd save that for a longer term project and get his head position and knees sorted out first, since they're more important to the lift.

However, since this is an online form check of one set, without any of our teaching the method and coaching in person happening beforehand, the focus on the important things first is what you get.