starting strength gym

Thread: Need Squat Advice

Default Need Squat Advice

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I have an issue where I GM my squats, like in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oa4B8S0vSRk (fast forward to 34 secs). If you notice, I don't immediately shoot my butt out when in the hole, it seems to happen part way up on the ascent. What are some cues you would use to correct this, and are there any excersises I can perform to help with this (thinking of that Bill Starr article about training the middle).

I really do want to fix this, since the weight doesn't feel all that heavy when I am in the groove. When I get forward, it sometimes becomes unrecoverable.

As you can see I don't use 100% SS form, so your critques don't have to be about the method, just general powerlifting. The vid was from the raw pro/am I did about a month ago. I compete raw+wraps, so if that makes a difference on the programming or critiques I figured I would add info.

Other basic info:
    Training Age: 2 years
    Height: 6'6"
    Weight: 355
    Program: I was on the kitten urban assault for my meet, currently just started something else.

Thanks! :-)

I got Mr. Matt Reynolds to type a reply, but his iPhone and the site weren't cooperating, so I am pasting his response below:

Les,

That's a damn good squat man. Was that in St. Louis? I recognize alot of the guys in the video- and it sort of looks like the old Eagle Gym in St. Louis. Anyway...

I think that your biggest problem is the lack of shoulder flexibility, which makes it very very difficult to "squeeze your chest up." One thing that I tell my guys right before they start their squat descent is "chest up!!" - You do a pretty good job of this, however on the video. But when you start coming back up, your thoracic is unable to hold extension, and the energy leak there causes the hips to come up, the back angle to change slightly, and the weight to move just in front of midfoot a tad. The easiest cue to fix this is "squeeze the chest up!" ...but again, this is nearly impossible to do with your hands out on the collars. I know you're never going to get your hands up next to your shoulders, but even getting it securely on the bar would be of much help I would think.

Btw, I'm typing this on my iPhone, so sorry for the typos.

Matt
    Last edited by Tom Campitelli; 04-18-2013 at 05:45 PM. Reason: As per Reynolds' correction below

Was supposed to say "hips up" not "hips forward."

Thanks a lot Matt! Thanks Tom too for helping out.

I will work on my shoulder flexibility for sure. I actually squatted with a 7' bar today and forced my hands on the bar. The meet bar was an 8', and I think I got so used to doing that and got a little lazy. I will work those cues for sure.

I really do appreciate the reply.

Les

I think a safety squat bar, if you have access to one, is great for building the strength to grind through that particular shitty part.

Heh, I forgot to answer the question!

That was at Tanks Gym in Granite City, IL (right next to St. Louis). It was a pretty nice facility, and they had A LOT of square footage. I might do it again next year, even though it is quite a hike. Originally it was supposed to be at Pro Gym in Chicago, but the venue got changed at the last minute.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by hamburgerfan View Post
    I think a safety squat bar, if you have access to one, is great for building the strength to grind through that particular shitty part.
    I agree. We don't have one right now though. I thought about front squats, but my hip flexors were killing from them. I am doing paused squats on my heavy DL/light squat day. I really like those.