starting strength gym

Thread: Squats look okay? (back injuries)

Default Squats look okay? (back injuries)

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    BW:190
    Height:5'10''

Two bulging discs L4-L5 and L5-S1. Have rehabbed fairly sucessfully with barbell training. These squats seem alright to me. Any feedback would be appreciated

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y02xAXGWGT4

You're either high bar squatting or high bar squatting with the bar in the low posisiont. Knee travel is excessive for my liking, and your knees are moving forward for the entire descent, which is incorrect (Ref pages 53-55, esp. figure 2-50). You may wish to review this thread.

All of this is typical of folks who have back tweaks or injuries (I've done it, one of the other Staff coaches as well). You have to stop the knee travel about 1/2 to 2/3 of the way down (this varies by anthropometry) - and then keep the knees still as you sit back / bend over. Your head position is a bit high, but at least you're not admiring yourself in the mirror like a lot of others who post here seem to want to. Can't tell you about the bar position from this angle. Finally, bar is way out over your toes. Can you feel that? Keep the bar over your midfoot.

these are from today. this set i was focusing on the knees staying put and shoving my ass back/leaning over. I see the bar is still too far forward, i'll concentrate more on that next time. Do these look better other than that? This was my first work set, I'm sure they got a little better as the sets went along (form is tougher than weight at this point) but my phone died and I wasn't able to get video.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Hill View Post
    You have to stop the knee travel about 1/2 to 2/3 of the way down
    1/2 to 2/3 or 1/3 to 1/2?

Quote Originally Posted by clembeeblebrox View Post
    1/2 to 2/3 or 1/3 to 1/2?
    Yeah, you're right - it's what I get for answering questions when I am all but falling asleep. 1/3-1/2.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDave View Post

these are from today. this set i was focusing on the knees staying put and shoving my ass back/leaning over. I see the bar is still too far forward, i'll concentrate more on that next time. Do these look better other than that? This was my first work set, I'm sure they got a little better as the sets went along (form is tougher than weight at this point) but my phone died and I wasn't able to get video.
    Except for you not keeping your head down, these actually look substantially correct, for what we can see. Can't see where the bar is on your back, can't see your stance width, can't see if you're getting your knees out. Part of that is the crappy quality of the video. Please read the sticky on filming form check videos.