starting strength gym

Thread: Squat form check

Default Squat form check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi all, second time squatting low-bar and was just looking for someone to spot any problems.

I read the video stickies after filming this video last night so I realise the video may not be the most suitable but I appreciate any feedback you can give from this angle.

Apart from me needing to eat more and the fact that the weight is too light (still getting used to low-bar positioning so these feel a little heavy on the shoulders), any comments?

You're right that this isn't the most suitable video for a form check. And that you need more weight on you, and on the bar.

From what I can see, you're doing a hybrid of hip drive and leading with your chest. It's not a complete chest-lead like a front squat, but the hip drive isn't very strong either; it's almost like a little of both. You need to drive your hips UP out of the hole definitively and forcefully, making it clear that THAT'S what's getting you up out of the bottom of the squat.

I'm also a bit concerned that your back might be in over-extension. But you're too skinny, so it's difficult to tell for sure.

Thanks the reply. Yes, hip drive was one of my concerns. Would you suggest leaning over more, to improve the back angle?

The bar generally appears to be over the front part of your foot at the bottom, not mid-foot, and gets even more forward as you start your ascent as a result of not keeping your chest up. You may need to lean over less.