starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Attitudes towards 'elderly' correlate to eventual risk of stroke or heart attack

Default Attitudes towards 'elderly' correlate to eventual risk of stroke or heart attack

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    The researchers don't explain the correlation but it's an interesting find. They rated folks on the Attitudes Towards Older People Scale in 1968 and followed their outcomes over almost 40 years.

The people with negative "views towards older people" had greater likelihood of stroke or heart attack.

http://www.ergo-log.com/looking-down...rt-attack.html

I guess they are saying people who's attitude is similar to the song "My Generation" ,i.e. "hope i die before I get old", get their wish. Karma 8)

I wonder whether those with a negative attitude towards getting old basically "abandon all hope" as their own age increases, and so don't push towards improved fitness and nutrition.

There appear to be three crucial elements of workout/rehab success: 1) Confidence, 2) Knowledge, 3) Priority.

Confidence that you can do it. Knowledge of how to do it. Priority, so it gets done regularly, with all necessary support (nutrition, adequate sleep, etc.)

The mindgame involved in working out, that push for progress, is crucial to success. Without an innate confidence in the possibility of a positive outcome, folks often don't even try (the "why bother" scenario).

That's why I dislike calling this subforum "The Elderly" when it's populated by 40s-50s-60s lifters. Elderly connotes frail, and would be more suitable for 80+, as that is roughly the age beyond-which elective surgery is discouraged.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium View Post
    I wonder whether those with a negative attitude towards getting old basically "abandon all hope" as their own age increases, and so don't push towards improved fitness and nutrition.
    That's my take on it. Screw that. I'll kick the Reaper's ass. Or at least let him know he had a Hell of a fight on his hands.

Couldn't agree more. "Elderly" is a lot older than I am, and I am 77 1/2. How about 60+ or even 70+? Or, maybe, Maximally mature? Anything but "elderly". Makes me think of walkers, canes, dentures and hearing aids. (well, I just bought some hearing aids, but I did a lot of shooting, so it probably is not age-related. I mean, what the hell, I also did some demolitions, and raced cars before anyone ever heard about ear protection-- maybe "heard" is not quite the term I am looking for).
    You guys will think of something.

Brewster, I think you are the first positively ID'd geezosaur here.

It is nice to be recognized for something, actually, for anything. The way I see it a Geezosaur is sort of like a T Rex, but more vicious, bigger and scarier-something like that anyway. probably with bigger pecs as well.

"The Elderly" as a title was Rips way of ribbing us perpetually for asking for this forum.

Potential alternate subforum name, with a tip o' the hat to Dan John, and inspired by Mark's slogans too:

"Never Give Up"

Might cover everyone, at any age, who persists despite hardship.

Great post by Bob G the other day about folks his age who begged off a river camping trip saying they were just too old for that. This subforum is for everyone who ISN'T those folks. For everyone who believes a geezosaur isn't just a geezer with DOMS, or one who wrecks his Model T, but rather might just be a distant relative to T-Rex.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Brewster Righter View Post
    It is nice to be recognized for something, actually, for anything. The way I see it a Geezosaur is sort of like a T Rex, but more vicious, bigger and scarier-something like that anyway. probably with bigger pecs as well.
    Why does this remind me of an older Oldster? Awesome.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast