starting strength gym

Thread: Frustrated with squat

Unhappy Frustrated with squat

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I'm 44, 6'1", 230 lbs, both knees reconstructed 20 years ago so I can't power clean. Have been on SS for 12 weeks, never lifted anything before that.

Squat - no idea anymore
    Press - 141
    Bench Press - 205
    Deadlift - 322

I'm lost on the squat. I got up to 275 before I finally realized I needed to reset because of form issues. Not going down far enough mainly, and every rep is a unique snowflake that has never before been seen by man.

All the other exercises are easy--you either do the rep or you don't. If you don't lift the bar, you missed the rep. No debate. The squat is in a class by itself. It's so easy to cheat on and never even know that you're doing it until weeks of training go by. This morning I reset to 245. I had my son record it and it was still garbage. I deleted the clips immediately out of frustration so that's why I can't post it. (It's also embarrassing to watch so there's that too.)

The squat seems to be a special case. It is such a complex movement that it seems like it should be given a special status above all other exercises. You never really know if you've completed a rep until you look at film afterwards. The fear factor is so far above the others because not a single part of the body is spared from the agony. Sometimes I would rather take my chances jumping from an second-story window than to get under that bar for another set.

So what should I do? Reset again? And do I really have to film every set before I know if I did one good rep? How long will it take to get it right?

We cannot see your squats from here. However, from the sounds of it you might benefit from some coaching.

Next time don't delete the video. I've been posting videos of my shoddy attempt at a High Bar squat, despite how embarrassing my poor form is, Coach Campitelli can attest to this. You're never going to improve if you don't allow someone to critique your form.

Thanks guys. I went down to 225 yesterday, did 5 sets to maintain the same intensity level. I made a video on my iPad so here's my first attempt to post a video in here. (My 15-year-old was holding the iPad so I apologize in advance for any induced sea-sickness.)

I like the "Fin" at the end of the video. It lends the proceedings an element of class.

The good news is that you don't need to throw in the towel and that your problems have reasonably easy fixes. You are overdoing the look down/lean over thing resulting in the bar moving forward and the weight shifting into your toes. Because of this, you cut off your depth before you fall forward. Here's what you should do.

• Instead of looking at your feet, look at that cross member on the floor at the front of the rack, or even a little further ahead. You want a neutral cervical spine, not a flexed one like you have now. Normal anatomical position is the goal.
    • Focus on keeping the bar moving in a plane directly over the middle of your foot.
    • Drop your ass lower, not your chest, at the bottom of the squat. Stay tight.
    • Get weightlifting shoes. Really. This will help you a great deal. Get ones with a wooden or a composite heel, not EVA.

Thanks, coach. I see exactly what you're saying. Seems so obvious--why didn't I see that before?

starting strength coach development program
    Sometimes it helps to have another pair of eyes to watch what you are doing.