starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wrist position for low bar back squat?

Default Wrist position for low bar back squat?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    For the life of me I can't replicate the straight wrist grip recommended by Rip. In fact my wrist is bent right back like the "what not to do" photo in SS 3rd edition. I spent an hour messing around with the bar today and cannot straighten my wrist unless the bar is right up under the base of my skull.

Not sure if something is too inflexible or some contraction in my upper back is too weak. Any tips?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

How do you set the bar right up under the base of your skull? Has the Super High Bar Back Squat been created?

Neck squats.

Don't move the bar, move your hands outward until you can straighten your wrists. Work on moving them in as you can to get better upper back tightness.

Yes, dienster, but The Bacon Adept hasn't answered the question yet. Don't spoil the ending.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wolf View Post
    Yes, dienster, but The Bacon Adept hasn't answered the question yet. Don't spoil the ending.
    Sorry, didn't mean to ruin it. I would like to see a video of this squat though.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wolf View Post
    How do you set the bar right up under the base of your skull? Has the Super High Bar Back Squat been created?

My guess

Quote Originally Posted by dienster View Post
    Sorry, didn't mean to ruin it. I would like to see a video of this squat though.
    As would I. A picture, obviously, wouldn't do because you could just hold it there for a second to get the shot, if the weight is fairly light. But an actual set of squats done this way, even with a light weight, would be a whole new phylum or genus or something. I can't remember my freshman biology, been a while.

Quote Originally Posted by thefinalsql View Post
    My guess

Even that seems too low for the OP's description:
    Quote Originally Posted by Baconista View Post
    ...cannot straighten my wrist unless the bar is right up under the base of my skull.

Right, so just skip weight training altogether and join the circus ... got it.

starting strength coach development program
    I have no idea what prompted that response, but you haven't answered my question on your OP: how do you set the bar up right under the base of your skull?

But, in short, with a wider grip, you should be able to straighten your wrists with the bar in the low bar position. The vast majority of people are capable of doing this. Of the few who can't, most can do so within a few weeks of squatting regularly.

You might be one of those very few people, but it's more likely that you just don't know how to control your wrists, which I can't help you much with from here. You just have to practice, until you can differentiate very well between how a flexed, extended, and neutral wrist feel. Videoing your sets and watching afterwards, correlating the feeling with what your wrists are actually doing, will probably help, though not as much as someone right there to show you the positions.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast