starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Press check!

Default Press check!

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    So here's my today's press, all three sets:

In case you are super curious why I didn't have the same weight throughout the video: I really tried focusing on my form, and considering my press form is fucked, I am unable to sustain LP so I decided to lower the weight(it would mess with my progression if I had any, but I don't) so I really could focus without it breaking down because of fatigue. And if I try my best to show off my form, we will see any mistakes I may have in-bedded more clearly.

Yes, I have read the book, so there's no point in saying that I should read the book because my form is horrible. I in-fact re-read the press chapter this morning. But I still(obviously) didn't manage to fix my form, I am not sure what to think of during the press. During the squat I can focus on my knee position and if the knees stay in place the whole lift seems to be successful. Anything similar I can focus on during the press?

Your form is not horrible. Fear not. You have decent timing. You try to move your hips, then drive the bar up. Unfortunately, you don't really move your hips. You just overextend your spine. Look up the press 2.0 video on this website. It will be helpful. Here's what you need to do.

1. Start with a neutral spine. You are arching your back a little too much at the start.
    2. Lock your abs down hard.
    3. Reach forward with your hips. More than you are now. Don't lean back and crank the hell out of your spine. Make your abs do their job.
    4. Aim for your nose with the bar.

I think my grip might be too narrow, I got my ring finger in the edge of the knurl to the center markings. And because my forearms are a little too long(I think) I tend to rest my arms(the tricep side) on my chest or belly, which might be the cause of my overextended back in an attempt to make a better support for my arms. Whatever, I'll just take a wider grip with my forearms outside of my humerus.
    I checked the video, so I'll also try to "punch out" with my hips more instead of my spine.
    I'll post my next press video tomorrow in the evening.
    Last edited by PunchSlap; 04-30-2013 at 02:21 PM.

Here is my todays of what I hope is an improved press: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEwzE...ature=youtu.be

With a wider grip and a hopefully more emphasized "hip-punch" or whatever it is called. Sorry for the bad camera angle at the first set. I also forgot how many reps I did so I did only four on the first one. Before the last set I got a better realization of how I should get under the bar so I felt like that was the best one, not sure if it is noticeable in the video though.
    Just going to mention this because it is not seen in the video: I think of my legs being straight, so hopefully, they are.

Your last set looked pretty good, at least from what I could tell from that angle.

Quote Originally Posted by PunchSlap View Post
    Just going to mention this because it is not seen in the video: I think of my legs being straight, so hopefully, they are.
    Can't say for sure without seeing them. Squeeze your quads as you press.

Alright, can I continue doing as my last video or is there any change I should do? Is there any point on uploading more press videos?

Train for a while and see how things go. If you need a check up, post a thread.

Will do!

Good job punchslap.
    I am trying to transition to press 2.0 but I guess I am screwing timing since it's much harder than 2nd ed stretch reflex press for me.
    Any tips on timing? I am able to feel the bar leaving the shoulders with a lighter bar but when it gets heavy I mess it up.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by quad View Post
    Good job punchslap.
    I am trying to transition to press 2.0 but I guess I am screwing timing since it's much harder than 2nd ed stretch reflex press for me.
    Any tips on timing? I am able to feel the bar leaving the shoulders with a lighter bar but when it gets heavy I mess it up.
    This may help:

Squeeze the abs and the quads.
    Push the hips forward
    Feel the bar drop a little at the end range of the hip motion
    Drive the bar upward.

It is hips first, bar drops a little, then press.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast