starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newbie woman questions:

Post Newbie woman questions:

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Thanks to Shelley Hancock, I am feeling brave enough to ask a few questions even though I'm not a dude and I don't swear.

I'm 2 weeks into ss practical programming novice: as of today I'm at:

Squat: 95x5x3
    Press 45x5x3
    Bp 75x5x3
    Dead: 100x5x3

Questions: it says "once dead is established far ahead of the squat" to add power cleans. Am I ready for this yet? Or wait till the weight is up more as they are about even.

2. Nutrition: I'm 5'5" 148 meso-endo, I have no idea bf%, I'm guessing 22%, that's the last time I had it checked in 2009. Ha. I am looking for advice on losing body fat on this program.

I am already loving ss and the simplicity of it and technique : ballet teacher
    And I've never felt better either!

Thank you, Josie, for giving us something to chomp on other than a form check. And your intelligent questions.

1. The deadlift usually is well ahead of the squat after two weeks, but (assuming correct technique on both) this depends on anthropometry. Your bench press and press numbers are a lot higher than most women I've seen who are squatting/pulling 95/100 lbs. Do you have short arms? If so, a DL 5lbs ahead of your squat would be within normal range.

The most critical thing I look for when deciding when to introduce the power clean is consistently good technique, especially WRT getting SQUOZE™ (thanks to Steve for that one). Additionally, when doing a heavy set of 5 every lifting session, 3 days per week, impedes recovery. Those two things usually converge somewhere around the 2 week mark, but it can vary.

2. Jordan is the nutrition guru, but if you are actually 22% bf, that's not something you'd want to drop lower - as a female - while doing the novice program. Can you get it checked reliably so you have a fairly decent estimate on your actual bf%?

Glad you're enjoying the program and the results. It's great stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wolf View Post
    especially WRT getting SQUOZE; (thanks to Steve for that one).
    Say whuh? What is this "WRT getting SQUOZE" of which you speak? I must know!

Welcome Josie!

Thank you, Josie, for giving us something to chomp on other than a form check. And your intelligent questions.

1. The deadlift usually is well ahead of the squat after two weeks, but (assuming correct technique on both) this depends on anthropometry. Your bench press and press numbers are a lot higher than most women I've seen who are squatting/pulling 95/100 lbs. Do you have short arms? If so, a DL 5lbs ahead of your squat would be within normal range.

The most critical thing I look for when deciding when to introduce the power clean is consistently good technique, especially WRT getting SQUOZE™ (thanks to Steve for that one). Additionally, when doing a heavy set of 5 every lifting session, 3 days per week, impedes recovery. Those two things usually converge somewhere around the 2 week mark, but it can vary.
    Thanks for the quick response. I know from dancing that I have a long torso and short legs, but never considered the arms being stumpy too. I think you just gave me a complex.

Just kidding, I honestly feel as though I can DL and Squat a lot more weight, but am paranoid about proper technique and not getting ambitious and adding too much weight too soon.

As the bf%, my main reason for doing ss was to finally get really fit. I was tested in a bodpod, but that was before my last 2 children. The same clothes fit as then, so I guessed. Lame. I will look into getting a reliable %.

Thanks again, glad I was brave enough to post.

Quote Originally Posted by josiegrosie View Post
    I'm not a dude and I don't swear.
    We are happy you are not a dude, but there's no time like the present to use a lot of profanity..

We're actually pretty nice here, except for Wolf. If people post things that don't positively move a discussion forward, we tend to delete them. Welcome aboard.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathon Sullivan View Post
    Say whuh? What is this "WRT getting SQUOZE" of which you speak? I must know!

Welcome Josie!
    Getting SQUOZE, per Steve Hill, is squeezing chest up (creating the wave of extension that travels down from thoracic through lumbar) as hard as you can. Then squeezing some more. Then when you think you've squeezed up as much as you can, squeeze that last little bit more. That's getting SQUOZE. Not to be confused with overextension, of course.

Thanks for the quick response. I know from dancing that I have a long torso and short legs, but never considered the arms being stumpy too. I think you just gave me a complex.

Just kidding, I honestly feel as though I can DL and Squat a lot more weight, but am paranoid about proper technique and not getting ambitious and adding too much weight too soon.

As the bf%, my main reason for doing ss was to finally get really fit. I was tested in a bodpod, but that was before my last 2 children. The same clothes fit as then, so I guessed. Lame. I will look into getting a reliable %.

Well then it looks as though a squat and DL form check are in order. Read the filming stickies and show us what you're doing.

Regarding the bodyfat, I wouldn't worry too much about what your exact bodyfat % is, really. It's important to keep in mind that this is a strength program, and that will be built best with some bodyfat on you. Not excess fat and not super lean. However, if you're unhappy with some fluffiness, getting your nutrition in check is in order. It may be a detailed enough question on its own to post to Jordan's Q&A.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Campitelli View Post
    We're actually pretty nice here, except for Wolf.
    Da.

Hey Josie,

Another lady!! Woohoo!!

You've mentioned wanting to lose body fat and to get fit. If you define the "get fit" bit you might be able to get some more specific help although if you're a ballet teacher I imagine you're pretty fit to my mind.

What your real goal is will really help you figure out what you're willing to put up with.

My goal is to get strong since lifting my 32lb daughter seemed harder than it should be. So for the first three months I ate ridiculous amounts (or it felt like it to me-I used myfitnesspal to track calories and protein). Now, I'm getting tired of my chub and contemplating reworking my goals to include reducing body fat. That will impact my diet and strength goals. So far allowing myself to only eat to natural fullness hasn't stalled my progress on the squat, but I expect it will at some point. (I naturally eat about 200-300 cals less than I was the first 3 months).

Welcome Josie! I'm a fellow XX'er and have learned a ton lurking around here. (In addition to some colorful new insults.)

+1 to getting some nutrition advice. Jordan has helped many ladies I know personally get strong as hell while leaning out or just doing some general body recomposition.

Getting SQUOZE, per Steve Hill, is squeezing chest up (creating the wave of extension that travels down from thoracic through lumbar) as hard as you can. Then squeezing some more. Then when you think you've squeezed up as much as you can, squeeze that last little bit more. That's getting SQUOZE. Not to be confused with overextension, of course.
    Ah.

Well now I know that.

It pays to increase your word power.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathon Sullivan View Post
    Ah.

Well now I know that.

It pays to increase your word power.
    It's been an invaluable addition to my coaching vocabulary that I've used since last April, when Steve used it on me as an attendee on his squat platform.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast