starting strength gym

Thread: Muscle strain and super-compensation

Default Muscle strain and super-compensation

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    After doing heavy singles at 1RM level on SQ’s, I suffered what we’ll call a muscle strain. It was not an acute injury as there was no indication of a problem at the time of the lift, but awoke the next morning with severe DOMS in the right medial glute to the extent that it disrupted normal ROM and ability to walk normally. Next day it is much better and it is possible that I may not miss a beat as my next heavy day is scheduled for Tuesday. I accept the possibility that I might not be recovered enough by then to go heavy but optimistic that I can push it back a day or two and be okay.

My question is partially theoretical about super-compensation in this situation. If I’m able to treat it with ibuprofen, ROM exercise, hydration, and rest and only miss one training day as a result, did the muscle get stronger by adapting to this slightly higher level of stress? Or, is it offset by the missed day of training?

I accept that these types of injuries will sometimes occur in preparation for a powerlifting meet where limits of the lift have to be tested, but curious as to impact on strength improvement and the practical implications to programming. Bottom line, did the muscle get stronger or weaker?

Injuring a muscle is deleterious and results in decreased performance, albeit temporarily. Doing 1 RMs in the gym is not a wise idea in most cases for just this reason. The potential for injury is higher. The issue here is not whether a missed training day will make you weaker, but whether the slightly pulled muscle will be sufficiently recovered to lift again. If not, then supercompensation is not the concern. Healing is.

Thanks, Tom. Your answer addresses the issue better than my question. Muscle strain not good in and of itself, regardless of whether it creates missed days in training. That was what I was tryng to get to..thanks.

Ibuprofen stops the inflammation which slows the bodies ability to super-compensate. Take it easy first couple workouts back, with the addition of healing the injury, you can probably assume you get little super-compensation from the last workout.

Quote Originally Posted by dienster View Post
    Ibuprofen stops the inflammation which slows the bodies ability to super-compensate.
    I don't know if this statement would hold up to scrutiny very well. See Sully's article on Stopping the Spread of Misinflamation on this site for more.

starting strength coach development program
    Dammit, I've been bro-scienced. I need to pay better attention.