Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deadlift Form Check from Fino

Default Deadlift Form Check from Fino

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Male, 32 Yrs Young, 185 pounds, 5'6".

Deadlift 295 Pounds 1 Set of 5 Reps.

I would appreciate feedback on my form from the SS coaches. Thanks in advance.

P.S. Yes I am using straps. I use them for my working set only. I have chosen straps rather than the alternate grip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBE7k...ature=youtu.be

I'm not a big fan of straps for your work set, especially when your work set is only 295 lbs. At this stage in the game, you should be using the deadlift as a grip exercise as well. Do you have exceptionally tiny hands?

That said, and recognizing there are things we can't see from this angle, these aren't bad pulls. Get a little more set before you pull (squeeze chest up!). Also on subsequent reps, the bar looks to be moving forward around your knees rather than up in a straight line. Check your position to make sure the bar is over mid-foot when you start the pull, not behind mid-foot.
    Last edited by Michael Wolf; 05-11-2013 at 05:23 PM. Reason: wrote "can" instead of "can't;" fixed.

Have you tried hook grip? I find it's very secure and allows me to deadlift what I otherwise would not be able to with thumb-over.

Quote Originally Posted by Salv View Post
    Have you tried hook grip? I find it's very secure and allows me to deadlift what I otherwise would not be able to with thumb-over.
    This is a good option too. I've recently started hook gripping my deadlifts and am a big fan.

Thanks Coach MW for the feedback. I dont have exceptionally small hands but they are small. I tried the alternate grip and it is going to take some getting use to. It feels awkward: like my arm length is being shortened. Also my bicep seems to be worked when I use this grip, is that the case?

Salv I think I may try the hook grip at my next session.

This last session I focused on squeezing my chest up even more. I will keep that in mind going forward.

Thanks again.

Small hands will challenge holding on to the bar, but 295 seems low to be strapping in for a 185lb 32 year old, even at 5'6". Rip writes in SS that straps can allow heavier training if grip is a limiting factor, but hey can also cause grip to be a limiting factor. I just don't want to see the latter happen to you.

You'll need to take a slightly wider grip when alternating, and make sure you're pulling the bar in towards you, especially on the "palm up" side. It can feel a bit awkward at first. There is some uneven tension on the shoulders and biceps tendon on the supine-hand side. If you're feeling aggravation on that side, that's not a good sign. Did you keep your arms straight during the entire pull?

While hook gripping doesn't train the grip itself to the same extent, it's a good skill to have in its own right. If you warm-up with a double overhand grip on as many sets as you can, and then switch to the alternate grip or hook only when you have to, you should derive the benefits of the grip training while still being able to pull without strapping. At least for a while.

I have incredibly tiny hands, to the point where I'm incapable of holding onto the bar with a solid hook-grip. That being said, I can still manage a solid alternate grip, and with the help of a little chalk have managed to avoided getting anything but incredibly mild callouses. We have very similar numbers: 5'6", 172lbs, deadlifting 310 for a set of five.

The alternate grip definitely feels a little weird at first, it pushes my left arm closer against my knee, which is kind of awkward. I really think that if the hook-grip doesn't work out for you, that you'd have success with the alternate grip, just give it some time.

Coach Wolf, I have a follow up question for you. Can you provide me feedback on my training program and my failure at increasing weight on DL.

I have followed your advice and dropped the straps. I am using the alternate grip now. I have had two deadlift sessions since the posted video. I attempted a ten pound increase (305) but was only able to get 1 rep. The following deadlift session I attempted 305 again and did not get a single rep. Two weeks prior I did 5 reps at 295 (the video I posted). After each failed attempt, I strapped up just to see if it was a grip issue, but I failed to get a single rep strapped.

I believe there are two likely reasons for this failure: my programming or not enough food.

Can you provide me feedback on my programming?

Here are my current stats: Age 32, Weight 185, Height 5’6”.
    Squat 3x5 240, DL 1x5 295, Press 5x5 140, Bench 5x5 235

I am following an advance novice SS program for the Squat. Add five pounds on first and third workouts and lift 80% weight on the 2nd workout.
    I am following the Texas method on the pressing exercises. I switched about four weeks ago after getting stuck at 155 3x5 on the Press and Bench 245x3x5
    I am also using the Texas method for pulling: DL my first workout session and Snatching my third workout session with Back Extensions and PU/CU on the second day.

I switched to the TM method for DL because I wanted to do it more frequently than the once every ten days that happens on the advanced novice SS program. I thought that Dling on workout A and Snatching on workout B was too much pulling for me. I figured once a week was a good middle ground. Based on your experience, does this approach work? Or am I better off DLing every 10 days per the advance novice method? Should I also be shooting for 10 pounds increments in both scenarios?

For the record my pressing exercises are so much higher for a couple reasons:
    I never performed the squat or deadlift in my life prior to doing SS so my bench strength started at a stronger level.
    I have had some form issues with the squat and deadlift that I feel I have since resolved.
    I hurt my knee playing basketball that paused my squatting and DLing for a good 5 weeks.
    I think my pressing has benefitted from my 5’6” frame with short arms and wide chest.

Thank you for your time and thoughts.

As Andy Baker (KSC) recently quoted Bill Starr on his RDL/SLDL Vlog, when a lift isn't progressing you're probably either working it too much or not working it enough. In the case of the deadlift, it's more often the former. Drop the middle day back extensions and switch to 5lb jumps on the deadlift right away. See if that allows you to continue progressing your deadlift once/week.

If not, try alternating deadlifts and rack pulls on Mondays, and continue snatching on Fridays (is there a reason you don't clean?). So you're only doing a full deadlift every other week, and doing a heavier pull from just below the knee the alternate week. You might also try alternating haltings and rack pulls Mondays and doing the explosive lift on Fridays, and not actually deadlifting at all. This works very well for many.

There are plenty of other options too, but those simple steps are the first ones I suggest trying.

starting strength coach development program
    Thanks again Coach Wolf for your time and thoughts. I will move to 5lb weekly increases on my DL and drop the BE.

The reason I snatch over clean is I have a hard time racking the clean. My plan is to attend a pulling camp in the future to get help with the clean. Can the Midwest get some love with some camps? Thanks to Jordan for coming to Chicago this weekend for a squat camp. However my wife and I (she strength trains as well) will be out of town this holiday weekend so we will miss it. In the meantime I have found the snatch to be a decent alternative.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast