starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Stupid question - what does 'for reps' mean?

Default Stupid question - what does 'for reps' mean?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Does it mean 1 set of however many reps you can do at that particular weight? If so, how do you program it? Is there a range that you kind of aim for? I mean, there's a big difference between the weight on a 5 rm and a 25 rm.

I guess I'm just confused about the whole concept. How and why is it supposed to be used?

I'm sure somebody will correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think there's any hard-and-fast meaning for the term. I sometimes use it myself in the context of 5/3/1, where the top workset is done "for reps." For example, in wave 3, your top workset is a single at the prescribed weight, but you actually go "for reps," adding as many reps to that single as you can. I suppose the same usage could be used for a bodybuilding context or any program that called for doing reps to failure or near-failure.

Saying "for reps" in the context of the SS novice progression or TM would be a little silly, since your target number of reps are fixed.

Anybody else chime in if I'm not in touch with the zeitgeist on this one.

"For reps" means "I did not count how many reps I did with this weight. I just went ahead and did some reps with it. It may have been 3 or it could very well have been 15. I just don't care enough to remember and I don't care enough to write it down...and I definitely don't care to share. Just know this. I did it for more than 1 rep. Have a nice day."

This is a good question. I have heard it used and wasn't sure. I have heard it used as in "He does 225 for reps" . . that means he does 225 for as many as he can? He does 225 for 5? If it is AMAP then that would mean one could say "I do (insert 1RM) for reps" and it be accurate. I can say I do 50lbs for reps or 395 lbs for reps for the same exercise. . . good question. Kudos for having the balls to ask. I just hoped I would catch on . .lol

I'd trust Kong's interpretation on this more than mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne_KONG_Wint View Post
    "For reps" means "I did not count how many reps I did with this weight. I just went ahead and did some reps with it. It may have been 3 or it could very well have been 15. I just don't care enough to remember and I don't care enough to write it down...and I definitely don't care to share. Just know this. I did it for more than 1 rep. Have a nice day."
    That makes sense to a degree, however I have seen it used as a training directive as in "Do 80% for reps." Does that mean "for reps" is interchangeable with "AMAP"?

I think Sully pretty much nailed it but the question itself and Brian's comment illustrate how imprecise a term it is. It can only be used for general comments such as the aforementioned "He does 225 for reps," which simply means he can do a bunch of reps with 225. No real specific meaning can be inferred.

In the context of 5/3/1 or similar programs, it's sometimes used as a shorthand for max reps or as many reps as possible (not dignifying that with the crossfit acronym).

That's all I got.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wolf View Post
    In the context of 5/3/1 or similar programs, it's sometimes used as a shorthand for max reps or as many reps as possible (not dignifying that with the crossfit acronym).

That's all I got.
    LOL - -thanks Mike - -is AMAP a Crossfit acronym as I used it in an earlier post here? So it appears that "for reps" is not a precise definitive term and the context needs to be considered. . . . what time is it? Good . .7 minutes closer to quitting time...

Alright, alright, I'll take the bait: CF uses the acronym "AMRAP" to refer to as many reps (or rounds, depending on context) as possible.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wolf View Post
    Alright, alright, I'll take the bait: CF uses the acronym "AMRAP" to refer to as many reps (or rounds, depending on context) as possible.
    Bait? Look, I couldn't even get the acronym correct - -I thought it was As Many As Possible. Holy crap! That was the same acronym the wife had on the hotel note pad the night of our honeymoon. I don't think I repped out that evening. ..even with "kipping".

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast