starting strength gym

Thread: Can I jump back in with SS and LP?

Default Can I jump back in with SS and LP?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hey Coaches! Thanks for helping me with this. Can I pick back up with SS and LP despite having done different other programs since December of 2012? I don't know that I exhausted progression through SS.

My scenario:

April 2012 - Began SS
    July 2012 - Stopped SS for a month while having surgery to have hardware removed from left leg
    August 2012 - picked back up with SS
    November 2012 - stopped SS while having surgery to remove hardware from right leg. Complications from surgery resulted in my having to take over a month long break from squatting and deadlift
    December 2012 - while recovering from surgery ran a 5 week Sheiko bench program
    January 2013 - March 2013 - ran a cycle of Jim Steel's programs
    March 2013 - Decided to try my hand at a meet and have been training under the guidance of Callador with a 4 day Intensity/Volume program
    May 11 2013 - will compete in my firs Meet. I expect my 3rd attempts on the lifts to be: Squat 360-400/Bench 260 - 300/ Dead 460- 500
    May 17-19 - will be attending SS Seminar in North Carolina

I don't know that I maximized my gains through SS. Callador has been awesome in assisting me thus far and I initially thought I would run his 4x4 Kitten program but then it dawned on me that I hadn't necessarily pushed my gains through SS.

What do you folks think?

It's difficult to say, but it's worth a shot. For one, you (don't think you) exhausted your LP. I've also found that sometimes coming back to LP after getting stronger in other ways, and then a lay-off, allows you to make more progress not only than you did your first time through, but also than where you were before the lay-off. So it's worth a shot.

But a few notes:
    1. Don't hesitate to go to advanced novice squatting and microload your pressing movements if you need to.
    2. Don't run yourself into the ground trying to make it work. If it's not working, then you probably need an Intermediate program and would be better served by one.

It's possible that you might be able to milk LP a little longer, if you were going to maintain or gain weight. Since you are planning a pretty aggressive weightloss program, I don't think it will really work.

A more advanced program will work for you (it is working now), and that will give you more flexibility and recovery when you are on a cut. In a year you could be pulling over 600, benching near 4, etc, so why try to hurry it?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wolf View Post
    It's difficult to say, but it's worth a shot. For one, you (don't think you) exhausted your LP. I've also found that sometimes coming back to LP after getting stronger in other ways, and then a lay-off, allows you to make more progress not only than you did your first time through, but also than where you were before the lay-off. So it's worth a shot.

But a few notes:
    1. Don't hesitate to go to advanced novice squatting and microload your pressing movements if you need to.
    2. Don't run yourself into the ground trying to make it work. If it's not working, then you probably need an Intermediate program and would be better served by one.
    Lets say I would take my 1RM PR's from the meet - what % would I want to back off in order to get a good run with 3x5?

I had read about your plans for fat-loss in another thread, but forgot about them. Given that, I'm with Les.

I had read about your plans for fat-loss in another thread, but forgot about them. Given that, I'm with Les.
    I believe I am too .. of all things I had not considered the dropping of the 40-60lb.... I'm yours Les. . . when I pull 600 I will spring for the matching Kitten Singlets and matching meet duffles...we will be FABULOUS!!!!

Sorry for wasting your time Wolf..Thanks for keeping me on track, Les....

Wolf doesn't care about us. He can't even remember who we all are. ;-;

I scoff at you cretins!!!

I scoff at you cretins!!!

starting strength coach development program
    Hope your parents taught you to never eat yellow snow.