starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Possible Labrum Tear

Default Possible Labrum Tear

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I recently went to my doctor to get my shoulder checked out, and we know that I have some infraspinatus pain for sure (which should be manageable). Unfortunately I might also have a labral tear. I am getting an MRI (arthrogram) next week to verify.

I have done a little research regarding labral tears, and it seems like some of them do not require surgery. I've also read that most of them are quite painful. For me, I can press and incline bench maximally 315+, and on the bench I can use a wider grip and not feel it at all. It is only when I use a close grip that I feel the pain on the back of my shoulder. I have to avoid the wide bench grip for other reasons, so I am actually not benching at all right now.

Just seeing that I can OHP and incline bench heavy, and even gut through 440+ benches (but they hurt), does it sound like a labral tear? Just trying to get some other opinions while I wait for my MRI! :-)

It sounds like a labrum. It also sounds like other things. The differential for shoulder pain is broad. It's probably not worth speculating at this point. The MRI will tell the tale.

Les, I tried to warn you about all those kipping pullups, but you wouldn't listen.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Campitelli View Post
    Les, I tried to warn you about all those kipping pullups, but you wouldn't listen.
    Heh, yes I love to do those! :-) Thankfully I don't think it is a SLAP tear, otherwise I wouldn't be able to do much overhead work. I can still incline bench/ohp maximally. I figure if I can work up to a really heavy incline bench, I might get some transfer to regular bench.

I've had the SLAP tear and the surgery to repair it. It started out as annoying pain in the front of the shoulder and got progressively worse. I went from benching heavy to not even being able to do a pushup in a matter of a few months. Overhead stuff never bothered it. Incline bench was unbearable. The arthrogram will reveal all. The problem with SLAP tears is that they don't heal on their own. There's not enough blood flow. So, if you have one, you'll probably keep making adjustments until you can't bench at all without pain. If this is the case, just get it fixed. The surgery isn't bad, and I was back in the gym in a couple of months. Of course, this was pre Starting Strength. I'm sure Rip would suggest getting back under the bar much sooner. Regardless, the shoulder is stronger than it's ever been. Good luck. Keep us posted.

Make sure that they do the MRI with contrast.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara Cohen View Post
    Make sure that they do the MRI with contrast.
    Will do, thanks! I was looking at the paperwork from my doc and it does say contrast on it.

Just an update. I went and had the MRI done yesterday. Before the arthrogram, they numbed my shoulder up with lidocaine. I didn't have any shoulder pain after that, and today even after it wore off, I still was good.

I haven't gotten the results back yet, but this is at least a little positive news.

Ok, so it is not a labrum tear. Unfortunately I do have a partial tear (50%) of my supraspinatus in my right shoulder. The doctor gave me a cortisone shot and said to lay off it for 5 days. He made it seem like I can go heavy, but eventually - if the pain continues- I might need surgery. He said he normally would not recommend surgery for someone that just works out for fun, but he knows I go real heavy on it.

So here is what I am wondering. Is there any way to sort of rehab this thing? If there is, I imagine I should go pretty light on benching. Should I still press? What kind of grip/setup should I use to put the least amount of strain on the supraspinatus?

Thanks in advance!

starting strength coach development program
    Well, it's good news that your labrum is intact. I will let the others respond, but I think you will be forced to focus more on the lift you described as a red-headed stepchild, especially since it does not hurt you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast