starting strength gym

Thread: Squat Check

Default Squat Check

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I attended a seminar last month and it was great. One of the main take a way’s for my squat was I needed to get my knees more forward and out.

I just wanted to get your take on my most recent set. I am concerned over possible lack of hip drive as I come out of the whole.

And critiques or advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Backing the camera up would help us to see what you are doing better. I think you are overdoing the lean over bit of the squat and letting the bar drift forward of the midfoot. This results in a little too much good morning and inconsistent hip drive. It looks like your knees slide forward at the bottom on some reps, too. Your toes may be pointed too far out, but I cannot say that for sure. Here's what I would do:

• Focus on keeping the bar over the midfoot the entire time.
    • Drop your butt a little lower while keeping your chest up a little more.
    • Keep your knees out hard.
    • Stay tighter. Descend under better control.
    • Eat some more food. Muscular bodyweight is your friend.

Thanks for the quick response.

Roger. I will work on keeping by chest up and knees out more.

When you say stay tighter, anything specifically you can tell? Do I need to arch my lower back harder or anything like that? And I will have my training partner stand further back and post a new video tomorrow after my workout.

Thanks again.

Your back looks okay. Lock things down with a big breath and make your descent a little slower and smoother. Contract everything you can.

I had to take some weight off the bar to get the change down. But when keeping my chest up, I could keep more emphasis on my quads and glutes and a littles less on my low back. I think it looks better as well. I obviously couldn’t gain much weight in the past 2 days but is the form good to go now?

I attached the second and 3rd set and had my buddy take the video from both sides just to be sure.

Thanks Tom.

Watch your videos and talk to me about your bar path. What do you see?

The bar traveling in a slight arc in front of the middle of the foot on the descent and the reverse on the way back up. Do I need to shove my ass further back to stop this?

Sorry if that wasn't clear. By reverse, I mean traveling in front of the mid-foot about half way up on the concentric portion as well in a slight arc as well.

starting strength coach development program
    You are correct, the bar is drifting forward of the mid foot on the descent. Looks like the bar is rolling up your back, too. It would be helpful to see a video from the rear oblique, just one set of five please. Watching all these things takes time, after all. However, I suspect you need to do the following:

Site back a little more (as you suggested), which will bring your knees back slightly.
    Keep your chest up a little more.