Thread: Performance after stomach flu.

Default Performance after stomach flu.

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hey, hopefully not too dumb a question.

Male, 6'3", 230lbs
    Squat 205, press 112, bench 175, dead 275, power clean 150

On Monday morning, I did squats of 205 without hardly any problem. A bit of a grind on the last rep of the last set, no biggie. No problem on bench at 175 at all and a bit of a tweaked elbow on PCs, so I decided dropping the weight a bit would be prudent. On Monday afternoon, I got the stomach bug my son had and puked up everything I had consumed earlier (BCAAs, whey shake, vitamins & smoothie so far that day). That night and all the next day I couldn't keep anything down including water. Also I slept like crap that night. On Tuesday I managed to force some breakfast down in the morning and a sandwich later on, but I just couldn't get myself to eat any more. Once again I slept crappy that night.

On Wednesday's workout, my heavier warmups were tough and I failed on 210 pretty hard. I got one set barely and got only the first rep of the second set.

So is that to be expected. I assumed the workout would be hard but possible (if only barely). Not even close. I repeated the workout today, 210 again, and got the first set easier, failed at 3 on the second and 3rd sets. Should I have expected the level of performance hit after 1.5 days of barely eating or sleeping? If so, I guess I should make sure I really focus on the sleeping and eating when I'm healthy!

Getting badly sick will knock you back a fair bit. It is often wise to go light on your first day back. Depending on how sick you were, it may take a few workouts until things feel normal again.