starting strength gym

Thread: Warm Up Sets/Reps

Default Warm Up Sets/Reps

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I've just completed my 5th week of strict Starting Strength Program - Mon/Wed/Fri - A: Squats/Press/DeadLift B: Squats/Bench/Deadlift. It's going well and I've been increasing steadily each workout by as much as I can.

I think I've got the increases about right because even though for the last week I've thought I was going to fail on Press, Bench and Deadlift, I haven't. And when I've increased on the next workout it's been about the same, so on each workout I'm probably within 1 or 2kg of my max ability of 3x5 on that day. Which I figure is a good place to be, although it's a very small margin of error.

In fact, I proved this to myself today when I DL-ed 145kg twice, then added 5kg because my ego said I could, then failed on 150kg, dropped to 145kg again but failed on that too. I'd run out of juice.

Which brings me to my question. I was reviewing my progress, and recalling how close I had come to failing on a few reps recently, and I realised I was possibly doing too much warm up. I do 4 or 5 warm up sets of 1x5 for Squat, 2 warm up sets of 1x5 for Press, 3 or 4 warm up sets of 1x5 for DL and 3 warm up sets of 1x5 for Bench.

But if I'm close to failing on the last rep of each set of my work set, maybe cutting down warm ups would leave some juice in the tank.

Maybe this is a personal thing, but I'm interested to know what is advisable. I notice that on most work sets, the first rep and much of the first set is tough because it feels heavy. The second set is generally the easiest. Then the third set, fatigue is evident. If rep 5 of the first two sets was tough, then I'm close to failing on rep 5 of set 3.

I was thinking that if I dropped some of my warm up reps I'd perform better on the important work set, although I was worried that I may not be warm enough, if you see what I mean.

My initial thought is that 6 weeks is far too long to still be deadlifting every workout if you've been adding weight as you're supposed to. You should have started alternating the DL with the power clean sooner, but since you didn't, now would be a good time to start.

Regarding your question: this is described in detail in the book, which you apparently have not read. 2 sets of 5 with the empty bar, three warm-up sets of 5, 3, and 2 reps of increasing weight, using relatively even jumps between empty bar and working weight. Then your work-sets across at working weight.

Example 1 - work sets at 275 lbs:
    45x5, 45x5, 135x5, 185x3, 235x2, 275x5, 275x5, 275x5

Example 2 - work sets at 95 lbs:
    45x5, 45x5, 60x5, 75x3, 85x2, 95x5, 95x5, 95x5

See the pattern? When you get stronger and more advanced, you can play around with this using the same principles, but this basic scheme will serve you well for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wolf View Post
    My initial thought is that 6 weeks is far too long to still be deadlifting every workout if you've been adding weight as you're supposed to. You should have started alternating the DL with the power clean sooner, but since you didn't, now would be a good time to start.

Regarding your question: this is described in detail in the book, which you apparently have not read. 2 sets of 5 with the empty bar, three warm-up sets of 5, 3, and 2 reps of increasing weight, using relatively even jumps between empty bar and working weight. Then your work-sets across at working weight.

Example 1 - work sets at 275 lbs:
    45x5, 45x5, 135x5, 185x3, 235x2, 275x5, 275x5, 275x5

Example 2 - work sets at 95 lbs:
    45x5, 45x5, 60x5, 75x3, 85x2, 95x5, 95x5, 95x5

See the pattern? When you get stronger and more advanced, you can play around with this using the same principles, but this basic scheme will serve you well for a while.
    Hi Michael, thanks for your reply.

As for Deadlifting every workout, there's a detail you are perhaps not aware of. I had surgery on my achilles last Dec and am still recovering. It's not ready for the 'jump' required in a power clean. I raised the question with Rip in his Q&A forum about whether or not I should begin alternating as his book suggests (taking into consideration my achilles) and he advised against. He said I could either swap over a row if I wanted a 'light' day, or stick with DLs - which I did.

The thread is here:
    http://startingstrength.com/resource...ad.php?t=39191

My Deadlifts have increased by 5kg every workout since I began, and in the 5 weeks I've been doing SS I've taken my Deadlift from 1x5 40kg (88lb) to 145kg (319.6lb). I just wrote up my goals on my log and was going to lower my increases to 2.5kg (5.5lb) per workout from Monday, as I commence week 6.

http://startingstrength.com/resource...059#post671059

And just to let you know, yes I do have a copy of SS. I refer to it regularly but didn't find that bit on warm up sets that you quote. My apologies. Probably the problem is I've read so many different damn programs by now I can't remember which bits are this program and which are someone else's and what makes sense to one doesn't to another.

In any case, the bottom line seems to be that I probably am slightly overdoing some warm ups and underdoing others. I guess that I tend to do less for stuff like shoulder press because the gap between a 20kg bar and a 60kg work set would mean scouting around too often for little 1kg and 2kg plates and the difference seems so small as to be unnecessary. Of course, I could be wrong.

I wasn't aware of your achilles surgery recovery, so my advice about the power clean is definitely negated. But at this point in the program - 6 weeks in - if you've been deadlifting every workout, you are probably ready to switch to every other workout to lower the systemic fatigue associated with pulling so often. In fact, along with adjusting how you warm up, this may be the answer to your question on why you have nearly been failing lately - too much DL, too often.

However and on the other hand, if you've been able to make 5kg jumps every workout for 6 weeks, reducing to 2.5kg jumps and still pulling every workout may be ok for a little longer.

Try switching to the 2.5kg jumps with the new warm-up protocol. If you're still feeling beat up and nearly failing weights you should make, reduce your pulling to every other workout, and start doing chin-ups on the alternate day.

Thanks again, Michael. I think I shall continue with DLs every day this coming week (week 6) and monitor my progress. I think that managing my warm ups better - in line with how you suggest - may optimize my work sets a little better. In any case, I probably enjoy the DLs more than any other exercise, so I am reluctant to drop them to alternate workouts too soon. But I understand your reasoning.

Quote Originally Posted by Magma View Post
    Thanks again, Michael. I think I shall continue with DLs every day this coming week (week 6) and monitor my progress. I think that managing my warm ups better - in line with how you suggest - may optimize my work sets a little better. In any case, I probably enjoy the DLs more than any other exercise, so I am reluctant to drop them to alternate workouts too soon. But I understand your reasoning.
    You're welcome. I understand the desire to do your favorite exercise more often, but remember: your goal is really to deadlift more weight, not to deadlift more often. As any strong person will tell you, eventually this means you actually deadlift less often. But damn you will enjoy it when you do!

I just thought I'd add that I did today's workout with my warm up sets adjusted according to your advice. My overall experience was that they warmed me up sufficiently but left me feeling like I had a full tank for the work sets. Which is exactly what they should do! Thanks again, this makes a big difference, especially as I am lowering the increases on most of my lifts this week.

As for Deadlift, despite failing on Friday I decided not to go back to Friday's weight of 145kg (320lb) but add a small increase of 2.5kg (5.5lb) instead. It was a tough set but I grinded out all 5 and am very pleased with myself as a result. With that said, I agree that I probably cannot go on much longer doing 3 Deadlift sessions each week and increasing each time but I'll try it this week and see how I go. With less warm up sets overall I feel fine now (an hour since my workout), whereas on Friday I was totally frazzled the whole evening afterwards. Of course, I've just had two days rest, so that's probably a factor too. Thanks again for your advice. Phil

starting strength coach development program
    Glad to hear the advice made an immediate impact. Keep on pulling!