starting strength gym

Thread: A follow up form check

Default A follow up form check

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi coaches,

Back in March I requested a form check in this thread. The feedback I was given made two points:

-Keep my head down
    -Maintain tightness throughout the lift. I was suffering from overextension followed by flexion

Based on this feedback, I dropped to 225 and focused on these two points. Here is a set at 230

From there I followed normal progression and brough me back to 265. After watching, I was a little discouraged as it seems I haven't really fixed my overextension problem.

The weight feels easy, but I don't want to add more if I'm just setting myself up to get hurt. If your advice is to drop weight and focus on keeping a tight back, what advice can you give on maintaining a straight back? Before I squat, I focus on getting under the bar and keep a tight upper back, then getting my hands into position and the bar comfortably rested in place. I unrack, take a deep breath as instructed, and try to maintain until finish. The result feels and looks like my back is overextended.

Here are my lifts currently at 240:

Squat 3x5x265
    Bench 3x5x195
    Press 3x5x150
    DL 1x5x340
    PC 5x3x175

Thanks.

I can tell you're frustrated. I get it. The good news is you CAN fix this. It will take more hard work and consistency, but you can do it. That said...

Fact #1: Listening to Brittney Spears while squatting reduces your max by 10%. You probably don't have control of the music, and I understand the problem - I also lift at a gym with horrible pop/top-40 music playing all the time. But you should just know.

Fact #2: You're literally falling into the bottom, which is causing all kinds of issues (including rounding into flexion and going way too deep) and needs to stop. Do this: find a spot on the bottom of the wall in front of you to stare at, and do not take your eyes off that spot during your entire set. When you take your big breath in, squeeze your abs hard. Really freakin hard. Descend under control until you are an inch below parallel, then drive your hips up to initiate the upwards part of the squat. This depth will feel above parallel to you at first. If you don't have someone competent there to yell depth feedback at you between reps, film all your sets and watch in between. You need to learn where just below parallel is.

To summarize: eyes on your spot, squeeze your abs hard, then control your descent while staying tight, and rebound just below parallel.
    Last edited by Michael Wolf; 05-13-2013 at 07:44 PM.

I appreciate the response coach.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wolf View Post
    I can tell you're frustrated. I get it. The good news is you CAN fix this. It will take more hard work and consistency, but you can do it. That said...
    I am frustrated at myself, but I'm willing to put in the effort to do this right. This is very important to me.

Fact #1: Listening to Brittney Spears while squatting reduces your max by 10%. You probably don't have control of the music, and I understand the problem - I also lift at a gym with horrible pop/top-40 music playing all the time. But you should just know.
    I have zero control over anything at this place. I don't know if you are familiar with Scottsdale, but this is the LA Fitness Scottsdale which is pretty notorious for being the douchiest place on the planet. I have searched far and wide for a more accomodating gym but I've found nothing. I live like two miles from this place, so unfortunately after a long day sitting in my cubicle, this is my best option.

I've also searched this site and the web for SS coaches in AZ but I haven't found anyone. Am I missing something?

Fact #2: You're literally falling into the bottom, which is causing all kinds of issues (including rounding into flexion and going way too deep) and needs to stop. Do this: find a spot on the bottom of the wall in front of you to stare at, and do not take your eyes off that spot during your entire set. When you take your big breath in, squeeze your abs hard. Really freakin hard. Descend under control until you are an inch below parallel, then drive your hips up to initiate the upwards part of the squat. This depth will feel above parallel to you at first. If you don't have someone competent there to yell depth feedback at you between reps, film all your sets and watch in between. You need to learn where just below parallel is.
    Got it. I plan on dropping back to 225 and I'll film my sets and repost if thats ok. Are there any other glaring problems aside from my overextension/uncontrolled descent problem?

Not familiar with Scottsdale, but unfortunately very familiar with the issue of not having anywhere good to train within a reasonable distance. We who care about this stuff are willing to travel out of our way for it, but if the closest good option is an hour away, each way, plus your workout time, it's not always feasible. I was joking about the music, but it's worthwhile to keep looking for a good gym, if you can find one.

Regarding your issues: I mentioned the things you should focus on that I feel will be most germane to fixing your problems. If you get tight at the top and control your descent, while looking in the right spot the whole time, there's a very very good chance all the other issues will go away too.

Ok here is my first set at 225 today. How did I do?

starting strength coach development program
    This is a significant improvement, especially regarding controlling your descent and proper depth. Good job. Keep working the stuff mentioned earlier, especially the ab crunch/squeeze. Also, it's hard to tell from this angle, but shoving your knees out a bit more might be in order as well.