starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Glycogen or water

Default Glycogen or water

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    So I have a meet next week, and I need to make weight for a 2hr weigh in.

I have 2 choices to lose this measly 1-2kgs: one would be to cut carbs 2-3 Days out and one would be to do the standard waterboarding/sodium manipulation technique.

To give context, my diet is mainly ketogenic with 2 carb refeeds every week so cutting out carbs won't really affect my strength that much, if at all.

So my question would be, what should I choose to be the strongest come meet day- be slightly glycogen depleted (from cutting out carbs) or be slightly dehydrated (from water restriction)? Or a better question would be - what affects strength more, glycogen stores or hydration?

If what I'm saying is broscience-y do tell. Thanks!

Is there a chance you are going to win this meet, or place in the top three?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Campitelli View Post
    Is there a chance you are going to win this meet, or place in the top three?
    Not to brag but I'm at the top of my class, I want to post the highest total I could.

I was going to say if you weren't going to win or place, don't even worry about it, just go and set some PRs. I generally think that cutting weight is a sucker's game, but you only have 1 or 2 kg to drop. I don't think you need to do anything special besides not drinking much water before weigh in. Jordan or Matt could tell you more about this shit than I can.

National records are at stake here

The problem is not whether or not I couod make weight which I easily could, hell I could make weight just by taking a laxative the night before but that would mean an unpleasant situation like I experienced in my last contest.

I am more intrigued in what has more impact on strength.

Quote Originally Posted by simonsky View Post
    National records are at stake here

The problem is not whether or not I couod make weight which I easily could, hell I could make weight just by taking a laxative the night before but that would mean an unpleasant situation like I experienced in my last contest.

I am more intrigued in what has more impact on strength.
    Dehydration does for sure, especially as you're a keto guy and are low carb most of the time anyway.

Straight and precise, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    Dehydration does for sure, especially as you're a keto guy and are low carb most of the time anyway.
    Jordan (or the others), if you don't mind, I have a follow-up question.

What would you think would be easier to accomplish during this 2 hour window - replenishing glycogen stores or re hydrating?

Quote Originally Posted by simonsky View Post
    Jordan (or the others), if you don't mind, I have a follow-up question.

What would you think would be easier to accomplish during this 2 hour window - replenishing glycogen stores or re hydrating?
    You could easily do both. 32oz full strength gatorade + 16oz water w/ bcaas (hopefully Scivation w/ the electrolytes). Then take in ~20-30g of protein w/ 80-100g of carbs (preferably fast ones like waxy maize/dextrose). Then about an hour and a half later have some moderate digesting carbs (like oats) + a bit of protein (20g will do) and a bit of fat (maybe some MCTs). Then I'd start warming up and pound water + salt all day (or coconut water)

starting strength coach development program
    Cool. That's kinda what I'm doing in the past save for the bcaa's and the whey + dextrose shake. I have a concern though, won't I get sluggish after taking in that high amount of a high GI carb considering I'm a keto guy and am not really that used to having carbs in my system all day long? In your previous meet, did you feel sluggish doing that?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast