starting strength gym

Thread: Beginner Squat Form Check

Default Beginner Squat Form Check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Just started the program after meaning to 'start next week' for a year or more. I'm fat and weak as hell. I have osteoarthritis in my hips and a painful lower back after a car crash a couple of years ago, so squatting hurts a bit, but hopefully that will ease as I get stronger.

3rd squat session of the program - 44 kg x 5 x 3 - this is the 2nd set -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkYbWex0XDQ&t=0m26s

What I can see - The bar looks like it's forward of my mid-foot. I don't know if my knees should be coming forward a bit more and if that'll fix it. It looks like I'm not using as much hip drive as I could.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Apologies if the camera angle isn't great - I especially wanted to see where the bar was in relation to my mid-foot and how far my knees were traveling forward, hence the camera being side-on.

Your observation of the bar being forward of mid-foot is correct, and looks to be caused by your squatting with a vertical shin and leaning way over. Begin your squat by bending both knees and hips at the same time, with the knees finishing their forward travel by the time you're about halfway down. Then sit your hips down and back. Everything usually aligns pretty well when you just do that.

The good news is this weight is still quite easy for you and you have plenty of room to get stronger quickly, which you will if you stay at it.