starting strength gym

Thread: Post-First Meet Musings, Questions, Next Steps

Default Post-First Meet Musings, Questions, Next Steps

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    OK, so now that I've had some time to absorb and start processing yesterday, I have some questions for you guys, particularly Wolf since he handled me yesterday at the meet. I've got the bug. I had a blast yesterday and I can't wait to do my next meet.

Wolf: If you if you feel like a (paid) coaching session or two would be best for where I am, we can talk about that offline.

My body feels great today. Just like any other post-training day. Tired, sore, but no pain, no pulls, no injuries. Took a little longer to get going this morning but I really feel like the experience drained me more mentally and than physically.

SQUAT
    At what point and for what reasons should I consider a wider stance and/or knee wraps? I definitely feel that I have the potential to put a relatively easy 50+ pounds on my squat by the end of the year and want to do it in the way that way minimize injury risks. I think a reasonable target is 475 for my next meet in ~26 weeks.

In terms of body proportions that affect stance and grip width, everything is short (I'm 5'7") but fairly balanced. My torso is short, and my arms and legs are short. Large shirts come down too low on my waist and I have a 29-inch inseam for pants.

BENCH
    Wolf, you mentioned you thought my grip was wide. I thought this was a good thing as it effectively reduces the distance I need to press. Interested in your thoughts on this. I also think I could use a once-over on my setup, application of leg drive and foot position, and arch. Reasonable (?) goal here is 300-315.

DEAD
    Similar question as squat: at what point and for what reasons should I consider sumo vs. conventional pull? I don't want to sound stupid or egotistical, but I honestly think 100 pounds here isn't a stretch by the end of the year, which would place me at 585ish.

MISC
    Thoughts on Gear
    I told my wife if she ever hears me talk about being interested in a bench shirt she should kick me in the nuts.

You're So Vain
    I'm not sure I love the way the big powerlifters look aesthetically. How do you approach filling in the aesthetic holes (i.e. rear delta, biceps, calves, etc.) not grown to proportion on powerlifters? Do those of you who do this kind of work do it as assistance work on main days, or do you do a "trophy muscles" day?

NEXT
    I'm switching from 5/3/1 to TM for faster progress. At 33, I am considering doing a three-day split plus a trophy day:
    • Monday Volume
    • Tuesday Trophy
    • Thursday Lower Intensity
    • Friday Upper Intensity

Look good? Or I could do Trophy work after intensity work on a traditional three-day setup?

Thank you all for your support to his point and beyond. It has been a truly enjoyable journey for me and you have all helped. I would appreciate any and all feedback, suggestions, and recommendations. Here's my poorly edited video from yesterday.

Dan

I just spent about 20 minutes replying to this in detail, and when I hit reply, the internet ate it and it's nowhere to be found. So excuse my brevity here, I don't have another 20 minutes right now.

Squats
    Consider a wider stance for some of your training and use in meets, when you're getting strong enough to think about being competitive nationally. Until then, unless there's an analysis I'm not aware of, the SS Model will best train all of the involved musculature. Lifting the most weight to legal PL depth isn't the same as training all of the involved muscles to be strongest. Unless you're gunning for a serious level win, I don't see any reason to forgo the latter for the former, which will probably inhibit your long terms gains anyway, and make necessary assistance exercises that would otherwise be redundant.

Reynolds has more experience with wide stance squatters than I do, and may be able to offer more insight.

Regarding wraps, Rip's video on the topic is instructive as always, and this recent thread is pretty good too. Some strong and experienced squatters from this very board chime in.

Bench Press
    Exact same concept as the squat. Use the SS Model. Consider going wider when you're strong enough that it might make a difference on a national level.

Deadlift
    I'm a broken record - same deal. Here though, it's not even as certain you'll benefit from sumo. You might, and it would be worth trying if you get that strong, but the conventional pull trains the posterior chain more throughly and effectively, so it's better for getting stronger. Keep using it until you're strong enough that it would make a difference.

Vanity/Programming
    As I mentioned on Saturday, I believe your switch from 5/3/1 to TM is absolutely the right move for your level of advancement. Start with the normal 3-day template, doing vanity work after everything else on Intensity Day. When you need to switch to a 4-day split, you'll have more room and more options for the vanity work. For right now, focus on getting the main lifts up and do the curls etc... when all that for the week has been done.

Thanks Michael. Much appreciated. Anything urgently glaring in my form that you saw Saturday that you'd correct in a coaching session?

You're welcome. It's a shame the first post disappeared because I replied in much more detail, but the basic advice / end result was the same.

To be honest, SO much happened Saturday and I was involved with 5 lifters, so I can't remember. I'd watch the video to see if I can see anything from there, but it's marked private.

Very weird. Not sure how that happened. This should take care of it.

starting strength coach development program
    What's up with that guy standing behind you when you do dead lifts? I didn't those got spotted.