starting strength gym

Thread: Squat form check + intermediate programming

Default Squat form check + intermediate programming

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Male / 5'8 / 167 lbs (I've been doing SS but now I squat light on wednesday)

Sq: 330 × 5 × 3
    Bp: 175 × 5 × 3
    Pr: 130 × 5 × 3
    Dl: 390 × 5
    Powerclean: 145 (working on form...)

I squatted 330 lbs at my last workout, and today I tried 335 lbs and did 5/5/4. Got pinned on the last rep.

Videos (hope you can see something despite the shitty angles) :

1st set
    2nd set
    3rd set

Do you see any technical issue with any of these reps?

Should I move to TM or just make an effort to eat bigger and squeeze every last drop of linear progression on the squat? I'm kind of becoming good at grinding slow reps and I know it's not going to feel light again.

Pretty sure my squat would be higher if I was 185 or 200 lbs though... I'm just one of those scrawny bastards that's having trouble with the eating (starting bw of 120 lbs). Working on it though.

Appreciate the help. Thanks.

You've gotten pretty strong for a 167lb guy and have gained some decent weight to get there, but you'd rather just be strong, than strong for a 167lb guy, right? Gain the weight. Eating is like training: you've gotta do it and do it consistently, even when you don't feel like it and don't want to, in order to get the results.

Regarding your squats, it sounds like you know the videos are shitty. We really can't see a lot of the things we look for, though the second vid is least shitty. So I might be missing something big just because I can't see it, but I'd say your tightness and eye gaze need work.

1. Find a spot on the floor, 3-6 feet in front of you, and stare at it. Don't take your eyes off it the entire set. It looks like you have enough space in front of you to do this.
    2. You need to get tight and stay tight. Big breath in, hold it, and set your back and squeeze your abs prior to every rep. Then hold all of that tight as you descend, controlling your descent and not falling into the bottom. Keep it all held tight as you drive your hips out of the hole.

Yes sir : I'd rather be STRONG in absolute terms, so I'll double the eating effort. Thank you very much for the feedback on my form!