starting strength gym

Thread: Getting unstuck at crappy clean

Default Getting unstuck at crappy clean

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Here are my crappy cleans in this previous thread.

From today, here's my last set of five:

http://youtu.be/Ar4s0VLLhRU

I think my very last rep is the best. My only cue today was "Jump!", except for that last rep, which was "Jump harder!" The bar practically floated up there.

Anything else you see?

Thanks for looking.

Third one was your best because you did not stop at the mid thigh. Each of your previous reps stopped in the middle. Touch the mid thigh every time, but you need to be going fast at that point, not slowing down. Keeping the bar on your legs on the way up will help with this. Widen your grip and focus on receiving the bar on your shoulders, not your hands. Touch just a little higher on the thigh, too. There are a couple other issues to deal with including your head and stance, but I don't want to throw too much at you at the moment.
    Last edited by Tom Campitelli; 05-22-2013 at 12:17 AM.

Also, check out the bottom middle picture below. Note how Ivanov is at full extension with straight arms at the top of the jump. This is the same position that you want to be in.

However, by the time you come to full extension, your arms are bent quite a bit and the barbell is much higher. You are missing out on a lot of power because of this. Touching higher on the thigh will help. Thanks to the Hookgrip dude for taking the photos above.
    Last edited by Tom Campitelli; 05-22-2013 at 12:33 AM.

While it is a snatch, also note the position of the lifter in the upper right hand image. Full extension, arms straight. Thanks again to Hookgrip for the photo.

Here you are when you touch the thigh. Your shoulders are a little behind the bar here, but things haven't fallen apart.

A few frames later, things look like this. Your arms have bent and you have changed your back angle a good deal. Unfortunately, your knees have not really extended and you have kicked your head way back. This is less than good.

Here you are at more or less full extension. Do you see how most of the power of the jump cannot be communicated to the bar here? The bar is out away from you, your arms have bent significantly, and you are pulling the bar up to your shoulders instead of letting your legs do the work.

Touch higher on the thigh. Keep your arms straight for longer.

starting strength coach development program
    Wow! Awesome analysis. Thank you very much for taking the time to do that.

Yes, I see where things have gone awry. I'll concentrate on what you've told me, as well as get some coaching.

It's great that you've done this--I hope it helps other trainees, too.

Tom