starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Over-rotation of femurs during squat?

Default Over-rotation of femurs during squat?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Is it possible? To externally rotate your femurs too much during the squat? I notice that when I really concentrate on 'knees out,' especially at the bottom, it feels like the pressure of the weight is falling more on the outside of my feet. I know that what you 'feel' during a lift isn't always a good indicator of what's actually happening, tho.

I'm not super flexible or anything that would lead me to believe this is a potential problem, and as I've really focused on 'knees out' it's certainly helped with depth and the movement overall, but it's something I've been wondering. I essentially focus on pushing my knees out as hard as I can - since I know it's a common form issue - and figure it'll work out from there.

Thanks, guys.

Yes. You can definitely push your knees out too far, although, as you said, it is not a common problem to have. Do you naturally oversupinate your feet. For example, if you were standing without shoes, would you naturally roll outwards?

I have never thought about it, but looking at the wear on the bottoms of my shoes, it appears so.

There you go. I actually naturally oversupinate a little myself. Obviously, you want to be in the middle of your foot during the squat as much as is possible. Focus on doing that. However, as long as you are not in pain and you are getting stronger, if your weight shifts a little to the outside of your foot because of the structure of your lower leg, I promise not to tell anyone.

Ha. Thanks Tom. Tho I think I did just tell anyone who reads this forum.

No pain, and like I said, focusing on really keeping my knees out makes for a stronger drive out of the bottom, but I'll keep an eye on it to make sure I'm not taking it to an extreme.

One other thing is that I recently widened my stance a bit - I realized I was too narrow before - and that's helped keep my knees steady during the second half of the descent. It's also kept the weight more evenly on my foot.

Just noticed I'm across the Bay from you. How can I contact you about some coaching?

Send me an email at thomas dot campitelli at gmail dot com. I am kind of backed up on email and I am traveling a good deal in the next two weeks. Don't be offended if I take a little while to get back to you. Sometimes you may need to email more than once. I need to get a better email organization system going because I am drowning in messages.

Got it. Thanks.

Btw, the Giants are taking these next two at AT&T from your boys.

The A's are up by two in the top of the second right now. To be honest, I am more of a Phillies fan. It was a sad day when the Giants beat them in the playoffs a few years ago.

Ugh.

On another note, as a baseball fan, sad to see what's happened to Doc.

starting strength coach development program
    Looks like your prediction was half right.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast