starting strength gym

Thread: Shoulder Pain during Squat

Default Shoulder Pain during Squat

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hello Coaches,

I'm 6'2 @ 96kg. Today I was doing high-bar squats 128kgx5. Coming out of the hole I managed to, what felt like, hyper-extend my right elbow upward and dislocate my shoulder slightly which immediately shifted back into place. The pain was about 6/10. Bearable and managed to finish the set, but felt very uncomfortable. There is no pain 1hr after squats (now). The same thing happened 3 weeks ago and thought it was a one off.

Am I correct in lifting my elbows and securing the bar by forcing it into my back?
    Some guidance would be much appreciated.

Simon

Well, if you are hurting your elbow and shoulder high bar squatting, you are probably fucked. However, I really struggle to understand what you are doing. How do you hyperextend your elbow when it is flexed during squats? If you dislocated your shoulder, I highly doubt you would have finished the set. In fact, you would probably have dropped the bar. In a high bar squat, the bar sits near the base of the traps and the arms are in a relaxed position compared to a low bar squat. You are going to have to more carefully word your question. Even better, post a video.

Sorta sounds like an issue I had minus the dislocation. I would keep my grip quite narrow and elbows up. On heavier higher reps if I don't pay especially careful to bar position when unracking, I end up over compensating and end up causing major bicep aggravation. by taking a slightly wider hand grip, moving into a more elbows slightly down position and making sure I am equidistant in bar height across the shoulders, as well as stepping out of the rack to the opposite of the injury, it has gone away almost completely.
    Just sounds odd to be getting it from a high bar position.

I am still at a loss to figure out how he hyperextended his elbow during a squat.

Probably isn't hyper extension but microtearing on the tendon and over use/inflexibility /not healing properly. I'm with you, It would be quite the task to actually hyper extend on a squat.

ah hyper extension of the elbow was the wrong terminology. I meant I lifted my elbow up too high.

starting strength coach development program
    Lifting my elbow too high to create the shelf for the bar, I felt the pain inside my front deltoid. Same spot as the point in your shoulder that gets tight when you reach up your back as high as possible.