Default Squat Check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    6'2, 200lbs and climbing.
    23 years.
    Australian.
    Circus Performer.

here is work-set 2 of 3, the second video is slowly uploading, I can add it later once mobile data manages to do so.

http://youtu.be/elHmiH9yez0

I've almost posted a form check a few times but not done so because of obvious bar path issues, which I think I've fixed enough to need a coaches eye for any further progression.

I'm making a transition from acrobat to strongman following a spinal injury a bit over a year ago.
    sorry about the deep 5th rep, my flexibility often means I lose discipline and dive bomb reps into my calves.

Reps 1,2, and 5 were high and 4 was suspect too. The bar looks to be in the high bar position. I'm sure your knees are caving in a bit and you are not setting and keeping your erectors isometrically contracted to keep your back flat.

Step 1: Put the bar in the low bar position and try to acquire some lifting shoes
    Step 2: shove your knees out hard the entire rep whilst keeping your back locked into position
    Step 3: Bury all the reps and film again.

http://youtu.be/uPG4Krur2O8

here's the last set. Obviously still with most of those problems, but is the depth ok?
    I squat again tonight; I'll film with a lower bar and 240lbs

Depth is mostly okay, back is unlocked for most if not all of the reps. I'd take some weight off the bar, learn the LBBS and then titrate up from there.

I've moved the bar where it should be, and knocked 10lbs off to re-film.
    I'm more balls than brains nowadays; sorry but I didn't realise I was high-bar all this time.

http://youtu.be/B8prBgw__4U

that was the second set, the third felt better... But isn't uploaded yet.

Depth is fine. Back tightness could still use some work. I'd need to see a shot from the front to view what's happening with the knees and toe angle and from the back to verify the bar position is good.

Also, fuck those kids in the back of your video. Not literally, but fuck em.

http://youtu.be/Wv3URu1b5-k

Not sure if that helps the bar position viewing well enough, that's the third set from the same workout. I squat again tomorrow and will get front view including feet.

and yeah, those kids are friends with the camera operator in the same set.
    take solace in the fact that they squat with such horrendous form that they won't be able to walk well enough to be so annoying soon enough.

Bar position is better. Back is still not locked into place properly and knees need to be shoved out harder. I'd also start bringing the grip in narrower too.

On the narrower grip.
    I honestly couldn't squat at all today; I could get the bar into position from tightness. I stretched for 20minutes, did arm circles, dislocates with a broom handle, foam rolled... I could get there.
    low bar was only possible last workout with a very wide grip as you saw it.
    I was hoping to start narrowing it this workout but couldn't even do the former.
    there is some bruising from the bar placement, and swelling (from 0kg on that spot to 100kg in one session?) but I didn't think enough to stop this.

My press hovers over my shoulder in the rack position because of my forearm length, can that affect squat grip?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Trewarin View Post
    On the narrower grip.
    I honestly couldn't squat at all today; I could get the bar into position from tightness. I stretched for 20minutes, did arm circles, dislocates with a broom handle, foam rolled... I could get there.
    low bar was only possible last workout with a very wide grip as you saw it.
    I was hoping to start narrowing it this workout but couldn't even do the former.
    there is some bruising from the bar placement, and swelling (from 0kg on that spot to 100kg in one session?) but I didn't think enough to stop this.

My press hovers over my shoulder in the rack position because of my forearm length, can that affect squat grip?
    Of course different anthropometry can affect squat grip width. Most people have to start with a wide grip but then can move it in over time. Gaining weight and muscle will help with the bruising and swelling, although I have a nice callous on my back from where the bar rests. The chicks dig it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast