starting strength gym

Thread: Another "Old Guys Rule" Story

Default Another "Old Guys Rule" Story

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I go sailing every Wednesday night with a bunch of guys on a 35' sailboat. This particular boat is about the biggest sail boat which doesn't use a winch for the main sheet (the line that controls the main sail, the biggest sail on the boat) but rather goes through a 6 to 1 block and tackle arrangement. In heavy winds it is a bear to pull in.

It was my turn to man the main sheet this past week and it was blowing like stink! One of the younger guys offered to take my place if "I wasn't up for it." I said "no problem, pal!" I look forward to my stint in that position as its a critical one and a good guy on the "main" can really make the boat go faster and I like the challenge.

The boat was somewhat over powered for the conditions and so whenever a wind gust came the captain called for me to let the main sheet out. Then after it passed he wanted the main sheet in again to power up. I was letting that line out and pulling it in every few minutes, besides constantly doing the normal fine tuning.

A year ago, there would have been no way I could have kept it up the whole race, but after 9 months of lifting, I was tired but handled it with no problem! That younger guy looked at me at the end and said, "wow, you're in good shape!"

Yes!

Quote Originally Posted by Gene61 View Post
    That younger guy looked at me at the end and said, "wow, you're in good shape!"

Yes!
    Are there any words that are quite as big an ego boost? Umm yeah, but usually not from a guy.