starting strength gym

Thread: Gripping Matters: Anatomy 501 for the Press

Default Gripping Matters: Anatomy 501 for the Press

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    by Jordan Feigenbaum, with Dr Craig Goodmurphy & Andrew Schneider

"The grip for the press and bench press, as described in Starting Strength: Basic Barbell Training, creates the most efficient interface for force transfer between a human hand and the barbell. As the author and contributors to this article have confirmed through anatomical dissection and analysis, any other grip would, by definition, be a less efficient manner in which to both hold and transfer muscular force to a barbell."

Article

An interesting point of normal anatomical position is that the arms are supinated(palms forward while standing) and held away from the body so that the hands are not in contact with the legs.
    in order to maintain that relationship when compared to another available strategy, pronation, the palms facing backward in normal anatomical position
    I'm sure I'm reading this wrong, so could someone rephrase this for me? It sounds like Jordan's saying the normal anatomical position is supinated, and then saying it's pronated. Obviously I know how my hands hang when I'm standing, but I'm wondering how I'm misreading this.

I'll try rereading this later and see if my brain will properly interpret his meaning.

Question about wrist wraps.

Should they be used to limit the range of motion to the optimal angle as described? Meaning they are wrapped tight with the wrist straight.

Or should they be wrapped tight with the wrist pre flexed?

Any wrist wrap tips from the pro's?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by PEBCAK View Post
    I'm sure I'm reading this wrong, so could someone rephrase this for me? It sounds like Jordan's saying the normal anatomical position is supinated, and then saying it's pronated. Obviously I know how my hands hang when I'm standing, but I'm wondering how I'm misreading this.

I'll try rereading this later and see if my brain will properly interpret his meaning.
    Normal anatomical position is with the forearm supinated, i.e. palms up. When we pronate, the palms face posteriorly (backward) when the rest of the upper limb is in "normal anatomical position". Movements, actions, etc. are best referred to in reference to normal anatomical position. Perhaps replacing "in" with "from" in the last sentence you quoted would work better.

Quote Originally Posted by Bcharles123 View Post
    Question about wrist wraps.

Should they be used to limit the range of motion to the optimal angle as described? Meaning they are wrapped tight with the wrist straight.

Or should they be wrapped tight with the wrist pre flexed?

Any wrist wrap tips from the pro's?

Thanks!
    Wrist wraps should be used to isolate the wrist into slight extension (not flexion or neutral) to still allow the barbell to be carried directly vertical from the radius. If the wrist is straight, or neutral, the barbell forms a moment arm with the wrist. The wrist wrap, as it's commonly worn, provides force to prevent the wrist from extended greater than the optimal 10-15*.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    Perhaps replacing "in" with "from" in the last sentence you quoted would work better.
    Ah, gotcha. That did it for me. Thanks.

Jordan.
    How to wear the Wrist wraps properly?
    Could you give us some quick tips?

starting strength coach development program
    You'd use the wrap to compress the wrist joint while it's in ~10-15* of extension. I'll make a video on this. Much easier to communicate.