starting strength gym

Thread: What Your Doctor Doesn't Know About Squats

Default What Your Doctor Doesn't Know About Squats

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    by Mark Rippetoe

One of the most persistent myths in the entire panoply of conventional exercise wisdom is that squats below parallel are somehow bad for the knees. This old saw is mindlessly repeated by poorly-informed orthopedic surgeons, physical therapists, and chiropractors all over the world. Better-informed professionals such as productive strength coaches, weightlifters and powerlifters, and those willing to examine the anatomy of the knees and hips for more than just a minute or two know better. Here are four reasons why.

Read article

Awesome article Rip. As a chiropractor I hear this anti-squat rhetoric constantly. Not trying to blow smoke, but the way you explain the mechanics of the squat and other lifts in the books has helped me tremendously with patients. I get a whole lot of practice explaining why the ortho and other doctors, yes even chiropractors, are wrong about the squat. I can hardly wait for the seminar in Atlanta in November and I look forward to meeting you!

Rip, you ever come across anyone with a history of patellar subluxation? Just last week went to the ortho ("Knee Guy" here in Dallas) because left knee was swelling a lot after squats and feels creaky. Doc said due to history of knee dislocations there is some grinding in the joint but didn't recommend surgery if there is no pain. He recommended no leg ext. no lunges (don't do anyway) and if I do squats do them for sets of 20. Then PT comes in a recommends quarter squats to build up VMO because of imbalance between VMO and vastus lateralis.

Shane1, my left patella has fully dislocated several times due to structure. Improving strength works. Fixing a mythical imbalance between parts of the quads that contract as a unit doesn't work. Strength improves most efficiently and to the greatest extent with high weights and low reps using a full range of motion. IOW, real squats with real strength training.

Quote Originally Posted by stef View Post
    Shane1, my left patella has fully dislocated several times due to structure. Improving strength works. Fixing a mythical imbalance between parts of the quads that contract as a unit doesn't work. Strength improves most efficiently and to the greatest extent with high weights and low reps using a full range of motion. IOW, real squats with real strength training.
    Thx, for the reply. This was my inclination as well after reading much on this site. However, the swelling and grinding is bothersome. Do you have this issue as well? While not painful, any idea if it could be a form issue or just unavoidable consequence of repeated injury?

I do not.

You should get someone to evaluate your squat for sure. It's easy enough to mess things up, and those with injuries generally are more likely to do this since it's tough not to guard or compensate.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by stef View Post
    I do not.

You should get someone to evaluate your squat for sure. It's easy enough to mess things up, and those with injuries generally are more likely to do this since it's tough not to guard or compensate.
    I kind of figured as much, thanks for the input, stef.