starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Osteoarthritis and the Knee

Default Osteoarthritis and the Knee

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    by Austin Baraki

I hear about people’s aches and pains all the time, whether in the hospital, the gym, or even in social situations. Sometimes pain represents a serious, potentially life-threatening problem, while other times it’s a more mild, nagging ache for no apparent reason. Either situation can be frustrating and debilitating.

Read article

Great article Dr. Baraki; better that what is found on sites such as Mayo Clinic. I am 68 with diagnosed OA in knees, probably from a youthful commitment to running. My Ortho wanted to do the hyalauronic injections but I deferred. Doing squats in sets of 5 definitely helps.

Excellent article. I've had mild knee pain (accompanied by crackly sound effects) for a few years. Starts at about a 3/4 squat and continues to almost parallel, then mostly stops. It pretty much goes away after 2 or 3 warmup sets. I should get some knee wraps, I know.
    It's not so bad in and of itself, but it seems to predispose me to strain something in my right knee when my form is off, usually with a heavy work set. This requires a two to three week layoff to heal. Very annoying.
    All this is a round about way of asking: what do you think about stem cell treatment? Any other treatment, surgery, etc., seems inferior to grin, bear, and squat.

Very interesting and at the right moment for me, thanks.
    I am a 52 y.o. male, definitely overweight (15 kgs.) and pretty weak and at present quite inexperienced at barbell training.
    Still, my motivation is big.
    Very recently I decided it was time for me to implement the SS program seriously, after having "flirted" with it for some time.
    Bought the official app (which I strongly recommend!) and committed to follow the program.
    Unfortunately during a squat (very light load - believe me) my left knee produced a strange noise while hurting at the same time.
    Ever since an intermittent pain can affect my left knee; it is pretty mild and intermittent and can show up anytime of the day.
    I didn't stop training, but payed much more attention.
    Strangely the same thing happened with the right knee. I mean, after a short time my right knee was acheing too, even if I hadn't noticed or felt anything alarming during the lifts, as I had with my left knee.
    Now, every now and then I feel a mild ache in either one of both the knees; it comes and goes pretty randomly.
    I keep doing my lifts, though.
    The fact that the mild pain showed up in the right knee too, led me to the conclusion that this pain is probably more related to an overall systemic cause (overweight? weakness? age?), rather than to an actual injury during any of the lifts.
    I repeat - I lift very light loads (I don't give the numbers, because I don't want to be laughed at); my form shouldn't be that bad too.
    I do not think I should stop lifting and frankly such a thing would demoralize me very badly, because strength training for very short tine with barbell has given me much more results than decades of all sorts of so called fitness activities.
    Now, I was thinking of wearing knees sleeves, especially to keep my knees warm while lifting.
    Question 1: which ones should I wear? Any cons?
    Question 2: any suggestions about how to fix/monitor my problem?
    Question 3: is my conclusion (that the pain occurring in both knees points more to a systemic issue rather than to an injury) correct?
    I know these are silly questions, but this is my first post and I also see it as a way to join the community and express all my appreciation for anybody involved in it.

Thank you!!

Quote Originally Posted by Giulio View Post
    Very interesting and at the right moment for me, thanks.
    I am a 52 y.o. male, definitely overweight (15 kgs.) and pretty weak and at present quite inexperienced at barbell training.
    Still, my motivation is big.
    Very recently I decided it was time for me to implement the SS program seriously, after having "flirted" with it for some time.
    Bought the official app (which I strongly recommend!) and committed to follow the program.
    Unfortunately during a squat (very light load - believe me) my left knee produced a strange noise while hurting at the same time.
    Ever since an intermittent pain can affect my left knee; it is pretty mild and intermittent and can show up anytime of the day.
    I didn't stop training, but payed much more attention.
    Strangely the same thing happened with the right knee. I mean, after a short time my right knee was acheing too, even if I hadn't noticed or felt anything alarming during the lifts, as I had with my left knee.
    Now, every now and then I feel a mild ache in either one of both the knees; it comes and goes pretty randomly.
    I keep doing my lifts, though.
    The fact that the mild pain showed up in the right knee too, led me to the conclusion that this pain is probably more related to an overall systemic cause (overweight? weakness? age?), rather than to an actual injury during any of the lifts.
    I repeat - I lift very light loads (I don't give the numbers, because I don't want to be laughed at); my form shouldn't be that bad too.
    I do not think I should stop lifting and frankly such a thing would demoralize me very badly, because strength training for very short tine with barbell has given me much more results than decades of all sorts of so called fitness activities.
    Now, I was thinking of wearing knees sleeves, especially to keep my knees warm while lifting.
    Question 1: which ones should I wear? Any cons?
    Question 2: any suggestions about how to fix/monitor my problem?
    Question 3: is my conclusion (that the pain occurring in both knees points more to a systemic issue rather than to an injury) correct?
    I know these are silly questions, but this is my first post and I also see it as a way to join the community and express all my appreciation for anybody involved in it.

Thank you!!
    Very likely your pain is related to a form issue. Even at light loads bad form could lead to problems. Post a video to the Technique forum. I also had some knee pain come up a while ago so I posted a video and the corrections I was given cleared up the pain.

And yes, sleeves are a good idea to help keep the tendons and ligaments warm. I use the Evolutionize sleeves (Amazon.com: Performance 7MM Knee Sleeves for Powerlifting, Bodybuilding, Weight Lifting - Professional Quality & Ultra Heavy Duty (Pair) by Evolutionize: Sports & Outdoors) and have been very happy with them.

Good luck and don't let a bit of pain set you back, but don't ignore it either.

Quote Originally Posted by RJPinAZ View Post
    Very likely your pain is related to a form issue. Even at light loads bad form could lead to problems. Post a video to the Technique forum. I also had some knee pain come up a while ago so I posted a video and the corrections I was given cleared up the pain.
    Thank you very much, RJPinAZ!
    I'll definitely consider your advice about posting a video to the Technique forum.
    And I'll also take a look to the sleeves you recommend.
    May I just ask you what corrections you were given or can I find it all in the Technique forum?

Regards

Hi Everbody

I amerikanska a 33 yo ex Rugby player with meniscus tar in one knee and 75% removal ofta The meniscus in The onther knee. Since I stoped playing (beacause of knee pain) I've put on some weight as well, also my dad has bad knee. During my operation the surgent found damage to my cartilage.

I am in The process out if this is an option for med... Home - Episurf

Maybe it is something for u...

Regards Linus in Sweden

Quote Originally Posted by RJPinAZ View Post
    Following your advice, I took a video from the side of myself while squatting. My form is just horrible, beyond what I could possibly imagine: the bar rests more on the neck than on the shoulders; I totally lose the straight back. By no means the bar remains aligned over the mid foot. Everything looks wrong.
    I do not know what I will see when I take a video from the front.
    This was an eye opener.
    Thank you so much.
    I'd better focus on the form before I make matters worse.
    I am shocked.

Quote Originally Posted by Giulio View Post
    Following your advice, I took a video from the side of myself while squatting. My form is just horrible, beyond what I could possibly imagine: the bar rests more on the neck than on the shoulders; I totally lose the straight back. By no means the bar remains aligned over the mid foot. Everything looks wrong.
    I do not know what I will see when I take a video from the front.
    This was an eye opener.
    Thank you so much.
    I'd better focus on the form before I make matters worse.
    I am shocked.

Excellent. Not that your form is horrible, but that now you know that it is and you've taken the first step to correct it. Good work. Now post the video (in the Technique forum, not here) and you will get tons of valuable advice, I guarantee it.

-RJP

starting strength coach development program
    Update.
    I stopped lifting for a couple of days and reviewed lots of SS videos about how to squat (visual learning).
    I shot a couple more videos of myself squatting while paying attention to all the cues and recommendations and also bearing in mind all the issues I could spot from my first video. Much better.
    What's more surprising is that today (I took the new videos yesterday) my intermittent pain is gone.
    I am waiting a couple more days before I can say "Yes! It works, good form eliminates pain!!!!!"
    I am not posting the videos in the forum because - you know - I took the videos at home, in the pajama and all that (maybe one day I'll make good ones and post them).
    You, RJP, helped me a lot; the idea of giving up with barbell training was unbearable.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast