starting strength gym

Thread: Platoue in different exercises - heterochronicity

Default Platoue in different exercises - heterochronicity

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I didn't have a clue how to name this thread/question... so bear with me.

What would be your approach Mark in solving the 'phenomena' of reaching platoue and thus different programming need for different exercises for a novice or even intermediate? In other words, what if progress stalls in bench press sooner than in squat for the novice lifter? What to do then? You will allmost never ever 'switch' from noice to invtermediate (or upper level of programming) for all core exercises at the same time, but rather there will be some sort of heterochonicity 'phenomena'

Thanks in advance!

I sure do like the term "heterochronicity". Yes, if different exercises plateau at slightly different rates, it's obviously necessary to move their training along at corresponding times. However, if there is marked variance between the rates at which the basic movements are plateauing, there may be some discrepancies in the efficiency with which they have been programmed. The novice/intermediate demarcation is a systemic feature, and individual exercise components --although demonstrating some limited variation in advancement -- should not reflect wildly different rates of progress if they are programmed correctly. In other words, if your squat plateaus to intermediate 3 months before your press does, you got in too big a hurry with your squat and were too conservative with your press advancement.