starting strength gym

Thread: Accommodations for Bad Shoulder

Default Accommodations for Bad Shoulder

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Coach Rippetoe,

I am almost through the second edition of Starting Strength. I've enjoyed it throughly and will be getting PP soon as well. I really like your no-bullshit approach to things. Anyway, enough ass kissing, on to the question:

I dislocated my shoulder playing college lacrosse (for a school in Texas, no less). I dislocated it again learning to snatch while working with an oly. coach a year later. I finally broke down and had a Bankart repair to fix a torn labrum in Dec. '05. I also had a SLAP tear in the biceps tendon that was "fixed" at the same time. The joint is stable now, but the biceps tendon is still painful at times.

Have you had any experience working with athletes coming off this type of injury? If so, do you have any recommendations for things I should look out for or "modifications" to the Starting Strength. For example:

(1) Grip width for bench pressing

(2) Where I should look to touch the bar on my chest when benching; or, put differently, the angle I should keep my upper arms relative to my torso.

(3) Whether I should use DBs instead.

(4) Any extra warmup things I should do for it.

Those are some topics I thought of off the top of my head, but feel free to add more thoughts that occur to you. Perhaps others could benefit from this information as well.

Keep up the good work.

-Ben

I haven't had any direct experience with that particular procedure, but the rules for rehab still apply, as discussed in this post:

http://strengthmill.net/forum/showthread.php?t=309

As far as suggestions for that specific injury, I guess you have a very good opportunity to become an expert.