starting strength gym

Thread: broken scapula

Default "broken" scapula=heavily bruised

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    hello mark,

Unfortunately I have broken my scapula 2 days ago by falling down the stairs.
    I have found that I can do some (dip)belt squats.
    Are there more excercises you think I can do, or do you have some tips on how to kill the time with a little bit of training? I miss it already.

Thanks coach.

A broken scapula is a bad deal, since all exercises that transfer force through the arms depend on an intact scapula. Belt squats are good, and maybe some sled dragging (if you can stand it) might be all you can do for a while. Ice it, up your calcium, vit.D, and ascorbate, and move it as much as you can, but this must heal correctly or your long-term training ability will suffer. Good luck.

Today I had a meeting with my doctor. He said that they know now that the scapula is not broken but heavily bruised, and therefore the (rotatorcuff) muscles also.
    The doc told me just no when I asked him about training. Do you have some other thoughts?

Start doing presses with a very light weight according to the injury protocol I outlined previously on this board.

Well I tried that for about 4 days back then, but every day my (front) deltoid hurted more and more. So I took rest, starting to do some back squats ( keeping the hands very close to the shoulders) and deadlifts wich don't hurt at all.
    I went to a fysiotherapist who gave me the isolating rotatorcuff exercises. Doing them doesn't hurt anymore, the rotators got stronger I guess.
    But now I tried very light oh press again and my ( front ) deltoids are hurting every day worse and worse (after a few days training even at night).
    You have got any suggestions at what is going on in my shoulder or at what to do?
    More rest (another week) or train through the getting worse and worse pain? (i don't know how it will be after more than 4 days training, I'm afraid worse, but...you?)

starting strength coach development program
    You must have used too much weight. This is now officially out of my bailiwick. Consult the injury sticky, or do what the paid consultant says.