starting strength gym

Thread: Overhead Press - early stalling

Default Overhead Press - early stalling

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi Mark,

I'm currently in the process of purchasing a couple of your books, can't wait to get them!

My question is in regards to the overhead press. While running the Starting Strength and 5x5 programs I tend to stall on this lift fairly early on. Just wondering what the best way to keep progressing would be..

Should I drop back the weight and build up again with strict form, or do what reps I can and finish the sets with push press?

Or maybe drop back from 2.5kg increases each week to 1kg? (I find it easier to work with fixed increments rather than percentages - could this be a prob?)

Or lastly should I maybe swap out some flat bench work and concentrate on overhead lifts?

Current stats:

bw: 96kg
    bench: 92kg x5
    overhead: 60kg x5
    squat: 80kg 4x5
    deadlift: 122.5kg x3

Have had several leg related injuries which dropped my squat and deadlift weights back to barbell only each time but making good progress now.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Luke.

You're getting stuck because you're trying to increase to fast. Take smaller jumps and allow yourself the time to adapt. Smaller muscle groups don't get strong as fast as larger muscle groups, and jumps that work for squats and deadlifts won't work for presses and benches.

Thanks for the reply, I'll start incrementing with 0.5kg per side each week.

My copys of Starting Strength 2nd Ed. and Practical Programming just arrived! Cant wait to start reading through them.

/end ass kissing