starting strength gym

Thread: Induction and the Squat

Default Induction and the Squat

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    by Noah Milstein

In the world of strength training, the squat is a contentious topic. Camps and opinions proliferate but reasoned argument does not. How should one squat? High-bar position, low-bar position, no bar, single leg, on a bosu ball, suspended on thera bands over a pit of lava? There seems to be no end to the hand wringing and clucking on the matter. Each party in this debate brings arguments to advance their position. What’s an objective observer to do? How does one decide what is true?

Read article

Quote Originally Posted by stef View Post
    by Noah Milstein

In the world of strength training, the squat is a contentious topic. Camps and opinions proliferate but reasoned argument does not. How should one squat? High-bar position, low-bar position, no bar, single leg, on a bosu ball, suspended on thera bands over a pit of lava? There seems to be no end to the hand wringing and clucking on the matter. Each party in this debate brings arguments to advance their position. What’s an objective observer to do? How does one decide what is true?

Read article
    Good stuff Noah. Sounds like you have been heavily influenced by Nassim Taleb, perhaps? His view of the limits of knowledge and the weakness of human knowledge, logic, and reasoning are interesting to me. Have you read Popper? I tried but could not get through it.

Let us know when you get up to Boston. I need a coaching session.

Quote Originally Posted by TommyGun View Post
    Sounds like you have been heavily influenced by Nassim Taleb, perhaps? .
    Don't poke the bear.....I got a very long email from Noah last time I mentioned Taleb!

A nice contribution. Thank-you. But festina lente with that Latin: q.e.d. = quod erat demonstrandum, a gerundive expression meaning approximately "that which had to be proven."