starting strength gym

Thread: Your Gut, Your Health, and Situps

Default Your Gut, Your Health, and Situps

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    by Mark Rippetoe

If your back hurts and you’re doing situps, just try this for six weeks: Stop doing situps and back extensions. Just stop.

Read article

Curious about Rip's opinion on "back extensions" done with a neutral spine and no flexion/extension of the lumbar spine, but rather of the hip musculature instead. While bear hugging a heavy dumbbell, I've found this to be an immensely beneficial deadlift assistance exercise that allows you to accrue large volumes of quality work for the posterior chain while hardly beating up the body at all.

These would be called "hip extensions", and how "quality" can the work be if it is not stressful? Large volumes of submaximal work for the posterior chain accomplishes exactly what?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    These would be called "hip extensions", and how "quality" can the work be if it is not stressful? Large volumes of submaximal work for the posterior chain accomplishes exactly what?
    When I say "hardly beating up the body at all," I mean in comparison to deadlifts, which are my primary posterior chain exercise. I can crank out 5 sets of 8-10 "hip extensions" with a 200lbs dumbbell 2-3 times a week without ever having trouble recovering from it. On the other hand, if I deadlift even just twice a week I can only do it for a couple weeks before it catches up to me and becomes unsustainable.

As far as what this larger volume of work accomplishes, well, I generally include it in spurts of a few weeks at a time, gradually increasing the weight as I do so. Presumably, this extra volume would be helpful for continuing to drive strength and hypertrophy in an advanced athlete whose progress has begun to slow down. Would you not agree that the exercise done this way would be beneficial?

at 53 and with a slipped disk in L5/S1 for 20 years I can underline everything said in this article. Especially, my back never also went when exercising. I have just been weightlifting for one year. Before that I ran or played Squash. But exercise was never the cause for my back to go.
    What I take away from the article is also my experience: keep going. What I understand too is when one has an acute back incidence there are no alternative exercise to the squat/dead lift. Keep at them. Just do it with the weight and volume you can tolerate while the inflammation subsides. With the latter my ambitions gets sometimes in the way. Then you hear the wife: I told you so. That's another story.

Quote Originally Posted by Ape288 View Post
    I can crank out 5 sets of 8-10 "hip extensions" with a 200lbs dumbbell 2-3 times a week without ever having trouble recovering from it.
    Doesn't sound difficult enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Ape288 View Post
    Presumably, this extra volume would be helpful for continuing to drive strength and hypertrophy in an advanced athlete whose progress has begun to slow down. Would you not agree that the exercise done this way would be beneficial?
    By what mechanism does high submaximal volume produce an increase in force production?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Starr Rehab of muscle belly tears?