starting strength gym
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Quest for a Stronger Overhead Press

Default The Quest for a Stronger Overhead Press

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    by Bill Starr

"[S]ince the overhead press fell from grace, I’ve never seen anyone press 75 pounds over bodyweight, or very few, for that matter, who could even handle bodyweight. Yet I know it can be done because I saw it done countless times and did it myself. It’s simply of matter of putting in the necessary work in the weight room."

Full Article

Resources Page
    Last edited by stef; 05-26-2010 at 02:03 PM.

Thanks. It sounds to me like this article does not apply whatsoever to beginners and SS is still the path for me, for now.

He made note of a "dynamic style press" a couple times. Was the entire article geared towards this style, or were those just side-notes?

I've started thinking recently about what modern Oly weightlifting programs would look like if the press was still included. How would the third lift impact for example a Bulgarian routine of high intensity, high frequency, lower volume workout program?

The answer is probably quite simple, they'd just press heavy a couple of times a week, duh. Pre '72, was the clean phase of the lift always caught in a deep front squat position? or did some lifters turn it into a power clean to converse energy for the press portion? being that their clean and jerk would be a bit heavier than their press.

Theoretically, what would the world record be for the press right now? If Alexeyev took it to 236.5kg in 1972, the same year that he Jerked 238kg (amazing how close his press was to his jerk) then would Rezazadeh have pressed over 255kg? When you look at that footage of Redding and Alexeyev in '68 going over 500lb for the first time, I have to say that I thought Redding had the stricter form and when people say that Alexeyev, being Russian, knew he'd get 3 whites just for getting it overhead (politics) whilst the Belgian Redding waits to see if his lift is passed you can appreciate why it was eliminated on judging grounds; such a shame the cloud of health and safety took over as the reason.

This is another excellent article. Going to start incorporating dips into my workouts from now on!

Another good article on the press by Starr. Interesting comments on Press Starts and their possible incorporation after a full ROM pressing routine.

If using press starts in the Texas Method, I assume it could be successfully applied on the intensity day after the main press work, assuming it can be recovered from in time for the volume day work.

Question for Rip or anyone familiar with Starr's routines. Would he recomend doing the presses and Dips in the same workout? Rip....would you consider this a good idea or overkill for a single workout?

Forgot to add that that was an amazing article! Nice work Rip!

So if Dips are better for the press then why are chin ups better for the benchpress?

I missed that part.

Hawk - press responds well to frequency, so they would probably do it more the 2x per week.

Power clean vs full clean wouldn't be about conserving energy. some lifters were weak enough on the press (or strong enough on the clean) to power clean their press, others were strong enough on the press to need to clean the weight.

I think there was a pretty blatant knee kick on that Alexeyev press. Friggin' judges.

starting strength coach development program
    Excellent article.

Quote Originally Posted by MazdaMatt View Post
    He made note of a "dynamic style press" a couple times. Was the entire article geared towards this style, or were those just side-notes?
    See this:http://startingstrength.com/articles...ress_starr.pdf

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast